Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Construction loan via FHA?

tag
JMMD
Frequent Contributor

Construction loan via FHA?

How hard is it to obtain a construction loan via FHA?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Re: Construction loan via FHA?

If you qualify for a normal FHA loan, then it's not any more difficult.  We started offering them months ago and the qualifying credit, income & reserve guidelines are the same.  Only difference is that instead of a sales price, there is the project cost (cost of the lot + cost of construction).  Just like a normal FHA purchase, the home must also appraise for the project cost, as the 3.5% down payment is calculated on the lower of the two.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 2 of 6
JMMD
Frequent Contributor

Thanks, Shane. We would like to build it ourselves( no general contractor) but with a "site manager" I hope by having a site manager listed on the paper work that things would go smoothly. Have you ever dealt with something simlar?

Message 3 of 6
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Not aware of any lenders offering "owner builder" (that is what it is referred to as) construction loans these days.  Even at the height of their popularity (06-07) owner builder was tough to find and qualify for, as there is a potential conflict of interest when one is both the contractor & borrower.  From what I saw, quite a few owner builders were paying themselves income (via labor costs) through the loan, and construction loans aren't supposed to be a source of income for the borrower.  With a separate GC you can still play a part in picking the subs, it's just that everything has to be administered by & through the GC.  The GC will need to be thoroughly vetted by the lender too, a GC who isn't doing this as their full time profession usually fails the vetting process.

Documents the GC/builder normally needs to provide are:

1. Copy of Builder's/Retailer's License(s)
  2. Certificate of Insurance for General Liability
  3. Certificate of Insurance for Worker's Compensation
  4. Builder's Risk Insurance
  5. Most Recent Two Years of Tax Returns
  6. Year-to-Date Profit & Loss Statement and current Balance Sheet
  7. Executive Summary providing an overview of experience
Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 4 of 6
JMMD
Frequent Contributor

Thanks again for the reply. I appreciate the information. Sounds like it makes more sense to just buy a home at this point unless we can afford a GC. There is a nice market here to choose from so we shall see when the time comes.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

We offer the program as well. I wonldn't go as far to say that if you qualify for an FHA purchase loan you will qualify for an FHA construction loan. I have access to FHA purchase programs with credit scores as low as 550. The construction loan program requires a 620 score. 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.