Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Construction loans....

tag
Superk88
Regular Contributor

Construction loans....

So over the last two years we have sold, scraped and paid off debt to where we can build a house. We were just denied a construction loan due to our Debt to Income.

I make 80k a year and we have 70k mobile home, 28k car, and a 13k unsecured loan.

The bank approved us for a 250k va loan which I am gratefull for as many people would love that, but were trying to build on our land.

We were pretty much told that because of the mobile home we can't build.

Has anyone ran into this...how can people build nowdays are you supose to rent and then build. 

We do have the oppurtunity to buy a family home with 18acres for cheap...but it's in my grandparents name and well my grandfather is deceased and my grandmother is in the nursing home.

5 REPLIES 5
VAMortgageGuy
Regular Contributor

Re: Construction loans....

@Superk88 wrote:

So over the last two years we have sold, scraped and paid off debt to where we can build a house. We were just denied a construction loan due to our Debt to Income.

I make 80k a year and we have 70k mobile home, 28k car, and a 13k unsecured loan.

The bank approved us for a 250k va loan which I am gratefull for as many people would love that, but were trying to build on our land.

We were pretty much told that because of the mobile home we can't build.

Has anyone ran into this...how can people build nowdays are you supose to rent and then build. 

We do have the oppurtunity to buy a family home with 18acres for cheap...but it's in my grandparents name and well my grandfather is deceased and my grandmother is in the nursing home.

Hi @Superk88 ,

Is the 70K mobile home on the land you intend to build on? What do you plan on doing with mobile home once your new home is completed?
What are the monthly payments on your car, the unsecured loan and the mobile home?

Message 2 of 6
Superk88
Regular Contributor

The mobile home is attached to land but we have another acre of land we were going to use.

Home payment is $698

Car Payment is $550

Unsecured loan $280

I make 80k a year.

Message 3 of 6
VAMortgageGuy
Regular Contributor

@Superk88 wrote:

The mobile home is attached to land but we have another acre of land we were going to use.

Home payment is $698

Car Payment is $550

Unsecured loan $280

I make 80k a year.

How much were you hoping to get? Do you know what the property taxes are in your area? What will you do with the mobile home when your new home is done? It's possible the lender has an overlay on how high your debt to income ratio can be.

Message 4 of 6
VAMortgageGuy
Regular Contributor

wrote:

Home payment is $698

Car Payment is $550

Unsecured loan $280

I make 80k a year.

You likely have a couple of different issues.

#1) Does your local zoning/building code allow for 2 units on your lot? If so, VA should be fine with it based on this:

An Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU) is a living unit including kitchen, sleeping, and bathroom facilities added to or created within a single-family dwelling, or detached on the same site.  A manufactured home on the site could be an ADU. The dwelling and the ADU together constitute a single real estate entity.

#2) Your debt to income ratio (DTI) maybe too high for the lender you applied with. That could be for a couple of different reasons. The lender may have an overlay (their own guideline) or you maybe limited because your application/file has to be manually underwritten. 

Your DTI right now is 23%, total debt of $1,528 divided by your monthly income of $6,666 =23%. If you add a monthly mortgage payment of $2,100, it pushes your DTI to 55%. That's not too bad as long as you meet the VA residual income requirements.

Renting out the manufacture home once you move out, could help reduce your DTI which could mean a higher loan amount for the new construction loan.

Message 5 of 6
Tiersha
Regular Contributor

Shoot, I have a 677 mid score for a construction loan.  120k in the bank that they won't count as income.  I got approved for a bare land loan but denied on the const aspect, despite cash assets, the a ility to do a large loan.

I have a car payment 367 and a dell pymt at 64...I make 5k a month.

The house I was looking at building, very modest 1254 sq ft, $135 or less per sq ft.

The land, riverfront and a great deal for the area with all infrastructure, 172k.

They are concerned about me paying a $1600 mtg when in 2018 my mtg was the same with significantly less pay.

It's insane.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.