Did you mean: 

Conventional Mortage with a 620 Credit Score

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Conventional Mortage with a 620 Credit Score

Hello!

I am new here!

I have been reading and need some feedback regarding the best banks to obtain a conventional loan at a 620 credit score? Right now.. I am going to try Wells Fargo's 1st Mortgage program. I have a opportunity to buy a home but FHA is not an option. 

9 REPLIES 9
NC_Mtg_Loaner
Valued Contributor

Re: Conventional Mortage with a 620 Credit Score

620 is typically good enough for a conventional loan and rates and fees should be similar across the board and you will get what you pay for.

If you want high quality service, don't be afraid to pay a little extra.   

Buy bargain brands at Wal-Mart and Ollie's Outlet at a discount, but don't discount the value in obtaining a experienced and knowledgeable mortgage professional for your first home.

Licensed NC Mortgage Loan Originator
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

This is what I am asking as most lenders I have spoken to have stated that FHA is my best bet.. wanting to know if others have experience with other banks..
Message 3 of 10
NC_Mtg_Loaner
Valued Contributor

Sorry, I reckon I misunderstood your inquiry.  You stated FHA is not an option---so I figure it must be due to the condition of the subject property not being able to pass the appraisal qualifications or that you are looking for an Investment Property.

Because; generally speaking, with a credit score below 680, FHA will more than likely be a better loan program for a consumer when it comes to the APR thanks to HUD insuring the loan for your lender. 

Licensed NC Mortgage Loan Originator
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, the property does not accept FHA loans.. so I need a conventional loan.
Message 5 of 10
MauiMan85297
Established Contributor

Your rate will be high and the cost of getting the loan (discount points) will be high as well.  Sounds like it may be a condo that's not FHA approved.

Message 6 of 10
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
No, the property does not accept FHA loans.. so I need a conventional loan.

Most sellers are clueless about FHA loans.  What is the reason they aren't accepting FHA loans?  Is it because of the condition of the property?  If so, then FHA has a rehab loan called FHA 203(k) that can finance any needed repairs/renovations.

It's possible to qualify for conventional with a 620 score.  If I had a 620 score and was looking for a mortgage, I'd use a mortgage broker so they can shop around to find a lender who is OK with your situation. 

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

The property is a deed restricted property and FHA won’t approve it.

As far as mortgage brokers.. do you have examples of different companies.. I was told the Wells Fargo First Mortgage is a possibility...
Message 8 of 10
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Correct, FHA only allows deed restrictions if it meets one of the following exceptions listed at https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/retrieveECFR?gp=&SID=edeb747250479b13cc6f26239fbb7bf8&mc=true&n=sp24.2.....

Any company that has a minimum score of 620 or below will tell you that it's a possibility.  You'll want to ask friends, family and your real estate agent for a referral. 

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you! Wish me luck💕
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.