Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Conventional with 5% down and no PMI?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Conventional with 5% down and no PMI?

I was told by a lender I'm speaking with that they have a first time homebuyers program where I put 5% down and there is no PMI. I asked him so you will increase my interest a little bit then to cover for the no PMI? He said no because they will keep the loan (portfolio) and not sell my loan to any secondary places hence no PMI is needed. I never heard of such a thing. Does this sound legit?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Conventional with 5% down and no PMI?

He also said that I need a middle 700 score for this. I am at 695 right now.

Message 2 of 10
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

I have seen credit unions offer no pmi with fixed interest and low down payment.

Just compare apr to other lenders.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

The program could be legit but there are usually income restrictions. You usually have to make less than the median income for your area.

BOA has a similar program: https://www.bankofamerica.com/mortgage/affordable-loan-solution-mortgage/

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

The program could be legit but there are usually income restrictions. You usually have to make less than the median income for your area.

BOA has a similar program: https://www.bankofamerica.com/mortgage/affordable-loan-solution-mortgage/

Thanks for posting that link! I was wondering if anyone had info about his question. 

Message 5 of 10
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

https://www.navyfederal.org/loans-cards/mortgage/mortgage-rates/fixed-rate-mortgages.php

Navy Federal

No PMI

5% down

15 year

3.375%

.5 points

3.595% apr

30 year

3.875%

.75 points

4.021% apr

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the responses everyone. At least I know now it's not just some fairytale story I was told. My income is 46,000 so I'll have to see if I qualify or not etc. I'll ask him some more questions come Monday. And this is through Home Savings Bank.

Message 7 of 10
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Well jot down the Navy numbers so you have something to compare it to.

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'l do that. I can't get into Navy though but I'll keep that a secret if their numbers are higher which I'm sure they will be. Do lenders "price match" like retail stores do?

Message 9 of 10
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I'l do that. I can't get into Navy though but I'll keep that a secret if their numbers are higher which I'm sure they will be. Do lenders "price match" like retail stores do?

Typically no, portfolio lender which yours sounds like, maybe.  

        
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.