Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cost to lock rate

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cost to lock rate

I started the paperwork today for my loan and the originator is asking for 1% of the loan amount upfront inorder to lock the rate. It states this is non-refundable.. I am a little concerned because that is a significant amount of money and I worry the seller might back out if the apprasial doesn't come through OK.

Is this normal? Should I go with it or just float and hope the rates dont rise before 6/1?

thanks in advance

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
compassion101
Established Contributor

Re: Cost to lock rate

Ugh. I don't think I woulkd pay that upfront, non-refundable. Seems scammy.

Message 2 of 6
Lemmus
Established Contributor

...latest market bet is that rates are not going up in June, maybe not even in Sep ...hth

Helpful Links: Do I Qualify? | Mortgage Calculator | USDA Mortgages | Opt Out | FICO Versions
Last HP: 11/04/15 | myFico 3B Jun 10 '15:FICO8 EQ - 752 | TU - 763 | EX - 750
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I started the paperwork today for my loan and the originator is asking for 1% of the loan amount upfront inorder to lock the rate. It states this is non-refundable.. I am a little concerned because that is a significant amount of money and I worry the seller might back out if the apprasial doesn't come through OK.

Is this normal? Should I go with it or just float and hope the rates dont rise before 6/1?

thanks in advance

Since it is non-refundable, I wouldn't pay it and take my chances if I were in your shoes..

Message 4 of 6
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

The only time I ask for a rate lock fee is on extended locks. Like 90 days on new construction.....

If this is a regular rate lock, then this is just a scummy sales tactic to make you feel locked in with this lender. 

Retired Lender
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Find another lender!

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.