Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could this be right?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Could this be right?

So, I am due to close on my mortgage in a month, I missed a payment in July, reported in August as late, my mortgage score dropped from 742 to 636. The payment was missed because I had setup a recurring payment on my account, and for some reason the feature got messed up when I had to make a miscellaneous one-time payment (property tax) on my car, which then disabled the payment feature. I didn't check my account thinking it was all good, got no texts, no emails informing me otherwise, though I did see statements in the mail that I didn't check because I wasn't in town. I asked for goodwill adjustments, almost all of them responded with "we don't see a dispute, it's all reported correctly, please tell us what was incorrect", and at this point I've given up. 

What surprised me was when I subscribed to myFico and checked my scores as of 10/17, the mortgage score had increased from 636 to 670, and my fico8 score, which was 739 before the drop and went down to 690 after, went back up to 713. The mortgage scores are the same scores the lender is using right? Because I find it difficult to believe how my score just shot up 34 points and all I did was bring my account back to current and put a small balance on one of my credit cards, which are almost always 0 balance. My other credit card hasn't reported to the bureaus yet as my statement hasn't been cut for October, I wonder is it wise to keep a small balance on it too or would that not help or would it even potentially hurt my credit/mortgage score? 

My lender also told me that 680 is where the massive impact happens in terms of rates, and since I only have less than a month, could my score go up that much? I was surprised it went up 34 points in such a short time that I wonder if it's possible it will go up another 10 if I make on time payments for this month. I also tried the simulator for FICO8, and at least for equifax, it's showing the score going up by 10 with just a single month's payments on time. Is this not unusual?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Could this be right?

You only want a small balance on one revolver for the mortgage scores.
Message 2 of 6
sharpie
Regular Contributor

I kept paying to 0 and getting nowhere with just one credit card and a KOHLS charge card.  Got a 200 secured card put 18.00 on it kept rest at 0 and gained 48 points on 8 and all mortgage scores are over 640 and closer to 660.  So yeah it can be right, apparently.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

You’re under penalty until you have at least three revolvers, and more could potentially offer more points. You have to make sure the 1 small balance is on a national bankcard, not a retail account, but getting new accounts can cost points temporarily, depending on your profile, but if you don’t have at least 3 revolvers, you’re definitely leaving points on the table.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Really? I only have 2 credit cards and an auto-loan, I thought having a balance on both credit cards will hurt?

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Really? I only have 2 credit cards and an auto-loan, I thought having a balance on both credit cards will hurt?

@Anonymous yes having a balance on both cards will cause a larger penalty. If you've only got two cards it's preferable to report a balance on only one national bankcard. But you're leaving points on the table until you get another revolver or two. 

read the Scoring Primer linked  at the top of my signature.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.