cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Score drop after Qualifying? What Happens?

tag
firemartinez1980
Regular Contributor

Credit Score drop after Qualifying? What Happens?

When you apply for a Mortgage,  your credit is pulled and basically your approved off of your credit score.....So let's say you have a 620 when you apply. You find a house, put an offer in, paperwork is all started, but before closing, your credit drops 30-40pts for whatever reason..

Are you then denied the loan? 

Does everything keep moving forward since you already qualified?

Any advice??

11 REPLIES 11
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Credit Score drop after Qualifying? What Happens?

@firemartinez1980 wrote:

When you apply for a Mortgage,  your credit is pulled and basically your approved off of your credit score.....So let's say you have a 620 when you apply. You find a house, put an offer in, paperwork is all started, but before closing, your credit drops 30-40pts for whatever reason..

Are you then denied the loan? 

Does everything keep moving forward since you already qualified?

Any advice??

If one's score dropped 30-40 points, that's a huge problem! It means something negative has been added to the CR. So before moving forward, that negative has to be corrected so that the score goes back to what you were approved at.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 2 of 12
firemartinez1980
Regular Contributor

Well that was an "Example".....

Reason I am asking is because I needed a new vehicle, so I purchased a Truck last week. My credit score was right at 570 and I also would like to get a VA Loan soon.

The new vehicle is the only debt I now have and I just paid off 2 credit cards and also a car loan, but my credit hasn't updated yet.

Message 3 of 12
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@firemartinez1980 wrote:

Well that was an "Example".....

Reason I am asking is because I needed a new vehicle, so I purchased a Truck last week. My credit score was right at 570 and I also would like to get a VA Loan soon.

The new vehicle is the only debt I now have and I just paid off 2 credit cards and also a car loan, but my credit hasn't updated yet.

Ugh, that's a no-no. Lenders do not want to see any new loans, accounts, or CCs 12 months prior to applying for a mortgage. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 4 of 12
firemartinez1980
Regular Contributor

That makes NO sense, especially when the Mortgage payment for the house's around me would be about $400 less than what I am paying for Rent currently. So it's not like the payments wont be made

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes your loan can/will be denied for drops in scores. It happens all the time, people go out and buy furniture, cars , collections added. I would recommend improving your score to 620 then apply as it opens up your lender options. 580 is the bare minimum overlay for va I believe.
Message 6 of 12
Kforce
Valued Contributor

@firemartinez1980 wrote:

That makes NO sense

Fico scores, auto loans, mortgages and other banking practices are not required to make sense and usually don't.  They are what they are !  Not a recommended move, however everything might still workout.  Most here would have said to borrow or rent a car until after loan closing.

Do nothing that might change your scores

Message 7 of 12
MauiMan85297
Established Contributor

If the auto reports before you close it would certainly bring your mortgage scores down, it's an installment loan with a brand new outstanding balance and that WILL affect mortgage scores.

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

If your score drops below the lenders minimum score you will most likely be denied. Your best option is to work with a lender who can assist you down to a lower score. I save loans with similar situations with credit scores down to a 550 so I'm sure it can be done. If you have already had an appraisal complete the good thing is the new lender will just need to verify income, rental history, and get documents signed by you. I have seen loans like this close in as little as 10 days.

<Mod Edit: Contact information may not be shared publicly or in private messages on myFICO.  Thank you. - KiB>

Message 9 of 12
JVille
Valued Contributor

I am so sorry. You may well need to wait 4 to 6 months to work on your credit score. Until the new vehicle (credit line) updates into your CR their is no way to know the full result of this action but it’s likely to be significant. Unfortunately FICO scores are a major factor in approving any mortgage.
Time will tell how this affects your scores.

My question would be what is holding your scores down? And what can be done to improve your scores.
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.