Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit card credit line effects on mortgage

tag
SwiftTone
Valued Contributor

Credit card credit line effects on mortgage

Hi all, I have over $60,000 in credit lines and $0 ballance. I asked a mortgage officer last year if it affects my ability to get a mortgage and she said yes because the bank assumes you can max it out any time not be able to pay the debt and loan.

Is this normal practice in the industry? Should I be closing credit cards to get a mortage. I'm not looking right now but I will in a few years.

AMEX: $25,000, CSR: $10,000, Chase Priority Club: $1,500, Freedom: $5000, Freedom Unlimited: $1000, Discover: $21,000, BoA $11,000, WF Cash Wise: $5000

EQ FICO - 753
TU FICO - 755
EX FICO(AMEX) - 766
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit card credit line effects on mortgage

do not close any credit cards unless your underwriter makes it a condition of approval.

AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 2 of 8
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

@SwiftTone wrote:

Hi all, I have over $60,000 in credit lines and $0 ballance. I asked a mortgage officer last year if it affects my ability to get a mortgage and she said yes because the bank assumes you can max it out any time not be able to pay the debt and loan.

Is this normal practice in the industry? Should I be closing credit cards to get a mortage. I'm not looking right now but I will in a few years.

It's not normal practice in the industry, however it's something that many people have reported they've run into. One loan officer may tell you that while another won't see a problem.

I agree that unless the UW tells you to close cards before you can be approved, you shouldn't do it.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I love the thought of buying a home but some of the things I have read makes me sick.

If I was in trouble financially the mortgage would be the first thing paid. I cant sleep in my credit cards.
Message 4 of 8
Glenn_S
Contributor

Run from that Mortgage Broker FAST!

If you shut down some of your lines of credit, you will hurt your credit score, because you will now have a smaller credit capacity. Banks are concerned about what you actually owe, rather than what you MAY spend. With your scores and that much credit paid off, you are a candidate for top rates and should fly through underwriting, unless there is something we don't know.

Most Mortgage folks have NO CLUE how credit works, it's not their skill set.

Starting Score: 617 on 1/2009
March 2015 Scores (Lender Pulled-Mortgage): TU: 733, EQ: 719 EX: 789
MyFico Score August 2023: 845;

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 8
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@frugalQ wrote:

do not close any credit cards unless your underwriter makes it a condition of approval.

I wouldn't do it even then.

I'd find a different lender.

But that's just me still having just a bit of "The Rebellious Child of the Sixties" left inside.  Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 8
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

If I was in trouble financially the mortgage would be the first thing paid.

Right after you maxxed out all your credit cards right? 

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 7 of 8
SwiftTone
Valued Contributor

@Glenn_S wrote:

Run from that Mortgage Broker FAST!

If you shut down some of your lines of credit, you will hurt your credit score, because you will now have a smaller credit capacity. Banks are concerned about what you actually owe, rather than what you MAY spend. With your scores and that much credit paid off, you are a candidate for top rates and should fly through underwriting, unless there is something we don't know.

Most Mortgage folks have NO CLUE how credit works, it's not their skill set.

For my case since I have a zero ballance, it wouldn't make a difference in utilization. But I agree if I had unpaid ballances.

I do have 2 auto loans totaling $12k. One will be paid off in 2 months. And I have some student loans but not alot.

I won't close my cards unless it's a condition for approval and I have no other lenders to go to. It just shocked me that she said she assumes that my cards can max out.

People work hard to be responsible and get credit as a result. Then to get a mortgage they have to jump through hoops!

Thanks all!

AMEX: $25,000, CSR: $10,000, Chase Priority Club: $1,500, Freedom: $5000, Freedom Unlimited: $1000, Discover: $21,000, BoA $11,000, WF Cash Wise: $5000

EQ FICO - 753
TU FICO - 755
EX FICO(AMEX) - 766
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.