Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit utilization and mortgage

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit utilization and mortgage

I am married, so the higher income applies to us for purposes of the tax credit. 

I have been working on paying down the amex over this past year (the balance was over 15K).  Now that I have it low enough I don't want to pay if off because I'm afraid they'll CLD it and my utilzation will get killed and so will my credit score. 

I'm going to pull my credit reports tonight to see exactly where my credit score is.  That may impact my strategy some. 

I do have another question.  I know I would probably be able to qualify under an FHA program, but with less then 20% down is it possible to qualify for a conventional conforming loan?

Message Edited by J-Dog on 12-08-2008 04:32 PM
Message 11 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes you probably could, althogh DTI is stricter I believe.  Not usre if that would be a problem then.  It may be under 40% total with PMI and taxes included and you would be tight at that (depending upon the down payment and purchase price)

Message 12 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey, I wanted to give an update.

I pulled my scores and they are the following:

TU 721

EQ 702

Exp 708

I used the simulator to see what would happen if I paid off half of my CC ($12,000) my scores would increase by at least 30 pts.  This will also help with my DTI ratios. 

Thanks again for all of your insight.  I'll let you know how the process goes. 

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.