cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DESPERATELY SEEKING ADVICE !

tag
BOSSYHOTMESS

Re: DESPERATELY SEEKING ADVICE !

Thanks for the sugguestions @Hut1 Always looking for ways to save cutting coupons, I have an app for just about everything.

Reduce your monthly outgoing expenses by
renting a cheap apartment that covers your bare minimum needs. (ie: an extra br/ba is nice to have, but not financially prudent)

If my son and daughter were under the age of 12 they would be sharing a room!
cancel cable/gym memberships/subscription services, move phone plans to prepaid like Virgin mobile $35/mo unlimited plan.

Will look into as of now we have basic cable , ATT phones , slow internet and basic necessary utilities
Create a meal plan and eat at home and take pre-prepped lunches to work.

Too frugal for expensive take out when we eat out we do dollar menus.

Message 11 of 15
BOSSYHOTMESS

@Biggcraze "LOVED BE IN CHARGE OF YOUR LOAN" thank you

Bottom line is... Clean up your file and be in charge of your loan. Don't be at their mercy. Also be careful cause they will start pulling your credit every couple weeks and those inquiries add up. JMO

Message 12 of 15
BOSSYHOTMESS

Thanks@CreditInspired

1.Ive paid down NFCU from 11977 to 8808 (2 cards).

3.yes 401k =1% and I have a 401k loan Im paying back

4. nfcu 17.1% , nfcu 18% credit one 26.5% car 1 30% , car 2 12%

Message 13 of 15
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Congratulations on your success so far! Just keep plugging away at paying down the debt, taking care of the charge offs, and collections.

Message 14 of 15
AZEsq
Regular Contributor

@Hut1 wrote:

Georgia can be a bit expensive depending on where you live. I only asked to get an idea of cost of living. 

So, this would be my very humble opinion on my experience of how to stretch a dollar to accomplish a goal. Firstly, no one should rush a mortgage app. The difference a 0.5% APR reduction can make based off your score can mean the savings of tens of thousands of dollars over the life of your loan. Secondly, while VA loans have more lenient requirements for approvals, your score can still dictate how much you are approved for and even though there is not necessarily a minimum score, most lenders would still like to see at least a 620+.

If I were in your position, I would slow down and focus on one item at a time. Owning your own home is a 'want', so there's no timeline you have to follow or countdown you have to beat. Apply when you are ready and in the best posssible postion for a favorable outcome.

Here are my suggestions:

1. Reduce your monthly outgoing expenses by
    1. renting a cheap apartment that covers your bare minimum needs. (ie: an extra br/ba is nice to have, but not financially prudent)
    2. cancel cable/gym memberships/subscription services, move phone plans to prepaid like Virgin mobile $35/mo unlimited plan.
    3. Create a meal plan and eat at home and take pre-prepped lunches to work.
  2. List out all collections by either writing them on a poster, creating an excel sheet, etc.. (this starts the reward center of the brain working)
  3. Contact each collector to discuss a pay for delete option. If they agree, get it in writing before sending payment.
  4. Start with your pay for delete accts first and pay them off with all the money you're saving when you downgraded your expenses! Since they will be deleted once paid, you'll see immediate score increases.

There's no magical button any of us can push to make this process move quickly, so I hope you and your spouse have patience as a virtue. Just try to remain steadfast and keep chugging away.

I'm also interested to hear others opinions as well. Good luck to you both!

Agree 1000 percent. There's no market in Georgia that isn't cooling. The bubble in the Atlanta area drove prices up unsustainably for the incomes in the region, which are not comparably high. I say, wait a year or two and Dave Ramsey your life. You CAN get your scores in an excellent range during that time, prices aren't going to go up significantly if at all and, as we are on the cusp of recession, interest rates will remain low with some peaks, but being in a better position will likely save you 1% or more over the life of the loan. You're not in a good position now and considering the chargeoffs etc, it's unlikely you have significant savings or reserves.

If you're a person who likes to have a plan laid out for you, look at the NACA threads (there are a ton of hoops, but they will save you tons of money on the cost of the loan AND if you're organized, you can get through the process in 12 months or less). 

Good luck.

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.