Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DTI

tag
HighGoals
New Contributor

DTI

If my income is $78K how much debt can I have?

I also think I need another credit card since I only have one with a small limit. I know I cannot get an unsecured right now so what should I do now in order to prepare for a mortgage loan in the future?
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: DTI

If your credit is not good then you can take new credit card but maintaining a credit score is not easy. Credit score depends on five factors: Payment history - 35%, Credit utilization - 30%, Credit age - 15%, Credit mix - 10%, New inquiries for credit - 10%

Tips to Improve Your Credit Score - Here are five reliable ways to raise credit score fast when you want to buy a home.

• Pay all bills on time
  • Keep credit card balances low
  • Check your credit reports
  • Keep credit cards open
  • Look at your credit mix
  • If any fraud done, inform immediately
  • Don’t co-sign loans if not necessary

If you want to take a mortgage loan in future then you need to do:

• Maintain a good credit score
  • Employment history and income proof
  • Tax returns for the previous two year
  • Property value
  • Bank statements

Also contact to your nearest local loan officer to discuss about mortgage requirements and type.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

There is so much more that goes into a mortgage then debt to income. The first thing you should do is figure out what you have for a down payment. Then do you want to FHA or conventional loan. FHA and a few conventional allow for a minimum of 3.5% down. FHA also has lenient debt to income guidelines.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

If the plan for a mortgage is gonna be a year or two out or longer,

then applying for 1 or more credit cards is ok,

but if it will be less than a year, might want to hold off or ask more questions on that topic.

DTI is gonna rely on what type of mortage you will apply for.

Message 4 of 6
HighGoals
New Contributor

It will probably be FHA because we won’t have 20% to put down.
Message 5 of 6
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@HighGoals wrote:
If my income is $78K how much debt can I have?

I also think I need another credit card since I only have one with a small limit. I know I cannot get an unsecured right now so what should I do now in order to prepare for a mortgage loan in the future?

I'm providing a link so you can understand how DTI works. 

https://fitsmallbusiness.com/debt-to-income-ratio/

So based on your monthly gross ($6.5K), your total monthly expenses should not exceed 36%, which is $2,340. However, based on other factors in one's credit profile, some mortgage lenders will go as high as 50%. But IMHO that is really not a place someone should be if they have a mortgage. Too many financial unknowns as a homeowner can and do occur.

From the article: It’s not uncommon to follow the 28/36 rule. This rule states that a person or family should spend no more than 28% of its gross monthly income on total household expenses and no more than 36% on total debt payments, leaving at least 36% for things like taxes, discretionary spending, and savings.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.