Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dealbreaker?

tag
mamahearts
Frequent Contributor

Dealbreaker?

Our radon inspection result today was 4x higher than recommended amount.  Is this going to kill our deal?

myFICO starting TU 683 8/26/11
myFICO starting EQ 645 8/26/11
myFICO EQ 652 9/26
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
MEE2Too
Valued Member

Re: Dealbreaker?

No that will not killer the deal but it will need to be remediated in order for underwriting to give the final approval for the loan. If you are the buyer you need to ask the seller to remediate that problem so you can go to the closing table smoothly. If they are unwilling to pay for it because they will nto have teh funds to do so upfront you can pay for it and ask get that money back at closing table. Your lender/real estate agent will be able to guide you through that process but that is something that needs to be taken cae of asap.

Message 2 of 11
mamahearts
Frequent Contributor

@MEE2Too wrote:

No that will not killer the deal but it will need to be remediated in order for underwriting to give the final approval for the loan. If you are the buyer you need to ask the seller to remediate that problem so you can go to the closing table smoothly. If they are unwilling to pay for it because they will nto have teh funds to do so upfront you can pay for it and ask get that money back at closing table. Your lender/real estate agent will be able to guide you through that process but that is something that needs to be taken cae of asap.

Thanks for responding so quickly!  We have to close by 10/31!  My realtor is on the road today so I had to email him.  He just called about 20 mins again and said he'd draft something up to give to the seller's agent to have them fix this.   We have until Thursday for them to agree to this.  I wonder how long it'll take to get an estimate and have this remediated.    We are also asking them to repair a plumbing problem as the hot and cold water connections were hooked up incorrectly and it's a scalding risk.  Thanks for your information!

myFICO EQ 652 9/26
Message 3 of 11
cdtotten
Established Contributor

Radon mitigation is a pretty easy and quick fix. There are multiple systems to mitigate the problem, and vary by geographic location, but it typically involves putting ina valve/fan that pushes the bad air out of the house. When we purchased our first home, our radon level was over 100.... instead of the normal 2-3. Seems scary, but not a big deal. System was installed in a day and things were fine.

Starting Score: 627 EQ, 621 TU - 11/15/08
Current Score: 778 EQ, 781 TU, 778 EXP 07/20/12 Lender Pull
Goal Score: 800 EQ & TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 11
mamahearts
Frequent Contributor

I am more concerned that the seller won't want to fix this than anything else.  I've read reports of people having high radon levels but getting the mitigation system and then the levels are just a trace.  But it will be about $1000 that the seller would have to pay. 

@cdtotten wrote:

Radon mitigation is a pretty easy and quick fix. There are multiple systems to mitigate the problem, and vary by geographic location, but it typically involves putting ina valve/fan that pushes the bad air out of the house. When we purchased our first home, our radon level was over 100.... instead of the normal 2-3. Seems scary, but not a big deal. System was installed in a day and things were fine.

myFICO EQ 652 9/26
Message 5 of 11
cdtotten
Established Contributor

It's only a deal braker if the seller refuses to fix the problem and you don't want to pay for it yourself. If I were you, I would look to split it 50/50.

Message 6 of 11
mamahearts
Frequent Contributor

They offered to pay $500 towards the cost of the radon fix (we're getting bids on that because I'm told the range is from $1000 all the way up to $2000, but my agent thinks it is only $900) and they did agree to fix the other three things we requested: hot/cold water connections in the tub as they are set backwards/Electrical outlet in the garage that is wired wrong/Have an electrician inspect and reseal the LB.

But there are several other things we didn't ask for:

Garage needs vents and more insulation which they didn’t have done when it was re-shingled/More sand needed around the house/Trim tree branches/Move shrubs away from the house as they trap moisture/Trim the sump pump hose/The step to the exterior door of the garage is wobbly/The deck and interior stairs need more support/The bedroom and bathroom doors need doorstops/Some of the laminate flooring in the kitchen/dining area is damaged/Issue with fireplace screen/The bathroom fans don’t vent outside they vent upstairs into the attic or into the basement

He's getting his asking price and paying $3000 towards closing costs (so we'd owe maybe $800 more for CC).  So I'm just trying to decide if that's fair.  I debated asking him to install the garage vents and insulation.  We have until tomorrow to negotiate the things that showed up on inspection.  I'd appreciate everyone's input and advice since I only have until tomorrow to decide if it's worth it to me. I can't think straight anymore. Thanks!
myFICO EQ 652 9/26
Message 7 of 11
cdtotten
Established Contributor

Honestly, in all 3 homes I have purchased, I have had a laundry list of items just like you that you just have to look past. My mother is a realtor so I grew up around homes and every house you sell has a list like this. Home inspectors are going to point out every little thing, even when they aren't that important.

I can't tell you how to negotiate, but $500 is a reasonable concession for this issue. If you are looking for a reason to back out of the contract though, you now have one.

Message 8 of 11
mamahearts
Frequent Contributor

@cdtotten wrote:

Honestly, in all 3 homes I have purchased, I have had a laundry list of items just like you that you just have to look past. My mother is a realtor so I grew up around homes and every house you sell has a list like this. Home inspectors are going to point out every little thing, even when they aren't that important.

I can't tell you how to negotiate, but $500 is a reasonable concession for this issue. If you are looking for a reason to back out of the contract though, you now have one.

Thank you for your feedback! That's exactly what I needed to see. I am NOT looking for a reason to back out.  I really want this house, I'm happy to overlook the little things and told my realtor that.  This was something I was very firm on though, as the majority of people who have bought or sold homes that needed this told me the sellers paid.  But I am getting more responses from people that split the cost.  If he's willing to split the cost and pay for the re-test, then I will agree to that.  Thanks!

myFICO EQ 652 9/26
Message 9 of 11
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Just be glad this isn't a short sale or a REO.  You get NOTHING for fixing repairs from the inspector's reports from the banks.  My realtor made a good point - even if the inspector does come back with something, would that mean you do not want the house?  Only you can answer that, and only you, at the end of the day, can live with the deal you sign.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.