tag
rross
New Contributor

Deleted

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Re: Ok to withdraw 401k funds early during home construction?

Hi Ross - we took money out for our house, too.  Our LO recommended we do this back in May when we first started waiting on a short sale.  We ended up waiting until mid July before we took the money out.  We didn't want to waste that money and not roll it into a house, you know?  So that's why we hesitated.

Anyway, regardless of that, I asked LO why she wanted the money out so early and she said "Because we don't want to open up another can of worms."  She was referring to having to prove to the UW where the money came from.  It ended up not mattering either way - we just showed the statement from John Hancock w/ the withdrawal and Verification of Deposits to our bank.  easy - no problem.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 2 of 5
rross
New Contributor

Deleted

Message 3 of 5
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Re: since Re: Ok to withdraw 401k funds early during home construction?

Any large deposits on the bank statements the lender reviews will need to be sourced, so if there is a deposit from your 401k then it'll need to be sourced to the 401k loan/withdraw.  Loans & withdraws from your 401k are perfectly fine for mortgage financing - all it does it reduce the amount of "reserves" that your 401k gives you to qualify with.  I'd definitely recommend you discuss this with your loan officer before you do it.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: since Re: Ok to withdraw 401k funds early during home construction?

Is there some sort of rule that says the money taken out of the 401k has to be used for a home purchase within X amount of time of the withdrawal, or possibly that the home has to be purchased within the same year as the withdrawal. I don't know the answer to this, but I'd be looking for the answer, especially if there is a risk that the home isn't completed until 2012.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.