cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Denied for a conventional (with stats), forced into FHA? Please help!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Denied for a conventional (with stats), forced into FHA? Please help!

Trying to qualify for a Fannie Mae loan, as this will allow me to get down payment assistance through my state. Community property state so I only qualify for the program without including spouse's income.

The house is a $250,000 home.

Current mortgage scores are 647 for mid score and 680 high

Income is $70k

Credit card utilization is on the high side: 1 card at 0 util, 2 under 50%, and 3 over 80%

One collection on each bureau (2 are medical)

Some accounts are showing "in dispute" but I'm actively working to get those removed

Taxes are on the very high side, which puts the front end ratio at about 43%, total ratio just under 50%

When my lender has run through DU, I am getting a denial (lender says reason is "too many risk factors"). I'm getting DU approval through FHA. My question is: am I doomed for the Fannie Mae qual? Should I even attempt to bump my middle score up to a 660/680 and retry or just save that cash for a down payment since I'm probably going to be pushed into FHA?

Has anyone had luck trying again with conventional?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
VALoanMaster
Valued Contributor

Re: Denied for a conventional (with stats), forced into FHA? Please help!

Hi Bluesky2019,

Just to clarify, you are not being forced into FHA if that's all you're "qualified" for right now.

With your mid score of 647, FHA is going to have overall better terms for you (rate & MI) which means a lower monthly payment so it's not a bad option.

The main issue is your DTI followed by your credit. Your ratios are high on both the front & the back end.

If you get your scores up & your debt ratios down, you may qualify for a conventional loan.

Another option would be to seek a 2nd opinion from another lender.

VA Mortgage Expert. Mortgage Banker lending in All 50 States.
VA, FHA, USDA. Jumbo, Conventional.
CAIVRS Expert.
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.