Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dispute Comment - CBs Experience

tag
KatieKatie
Regular Contributor

Dispute Comment - CBs Experience

I just want to share my experience with having dispute comments removed, while it is fresh on my mind.

Equifax - request was handled by phone. I received a timeframe of 48-72 hours. The disputes were removed by the following morning after my call.

Transunion request was handled by phone. The representative immediately removed all dispute comments across 5 accounts with them. The update was reflected when I refreshed my report following the call.

Experian - contacted by phone. The rep took my request but referred to it as a dispute. Indicated dispute would be resolved in 1-2 days. About 4 hours later I received multiple emails notifying me my disputes were updated/resolved. Refreshed my credit report and the remarks were removed.

It seems like there have been some big improvements on this process with the CBs.
Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
SleeplessinMA
Regular Contributor

Re: Dispute Comment - CBs Experience

@ KatieKatie

Thanks for this info, this is great to know.  I need to have some old dispute comments removed myself.  No time like the present to get on this!  

My Wallet

Installment Loans

Current Scores 5/05/23

Current Mortgage Scores 5/05/23

Message 2 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I actually called and had TU remove disputes today. No problem at all. Comments were deleted while we were on the phone.

Message 3 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had a terrible experience with Equifax but the others were quick and easy. The real problem is most of the dispute remarks came back.
Message 4 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

The CRA's are really great at removing disputed remarks.  However, should it reappear, it is not from the CRA's but the actual account holder.  I am currently trying to have a remark removed from a Capital One account that each CRA has immediately removed since April monthly for me.  I've had to since open a complaint against CapOne with the CFPB and BBB.

Just some more data in case a remark comes back.

Message 5 of 23
SleeplessinMA
Regular Contributor

@ hasselfree

Capital One is one of the worst.  I have read where there are folks that have had much success filing complaints with the CFPB and BBB and getting their remarks removed permanently.  I have also seen folks having success in emailing the VP's and CEO's of the company also.  I have tried, in vain, to get a 30D late removed in 2013. I have an email campaign going on, even as we speak, so we'll see how that turns out. 

It's almost time to drop off, due to age but going to file for an EE later on this year.

Good luck, keep us posted on how it turns out for you! Smiley Happy

My Wallet

Installment Loans

Current Scores 5/05/23

Message 6 of 23
KatieKatie
Regular Contributor

Funny you should mention that. Dispute comments popped up on TU again for Cap1 and Macy’s AmEx. My Fico sent a note saying you have accounts in dispute and my FICO 8 score dropped 4 points mortgage score did not change (yes, I ordered a new 1B). Just had TU remove them again although they said they will reappear if the company reports the account again with the comments. I’m curious to see if my 4 points come back which would be interesting. Both accounts have no comments when the disputes are removed.
Message 7 of 23
SleeplessinMA
Regular Contributor

@KatieKatie

Were these old dispute comments you are trying to remove?  How far out are you to buying a home?  

My Wallet

Installment Loans

Current Scores 5/05/23

Message 8 of 23
KatieKatie
Regular Contributor

Yes, these were old comments. The Cap1 account in question has been closed for 8 years. There were never any derogatory items on it so I can’t even imagine what I might have been disputing in the past. The Macy’s AmEx account was closed but when my card was lost and reissued a couple of years ago.

I’m already preapproved, I just thought I should maybe clean this up before final underwriting to make sure it wasn’t an issue. I tested this by removing the dispute comments on my lowest score first to ensure the comment removals didn’t negatively impact my score and then after that was updated I removed comments on the other 2. They’ve only reoccurred on TU at this time.
Message 9 of 23
SleeplessinMA
Regular Contributor

@KatieKatie

I had one Capital One Auto account that I disputed, many years ago, and they put dispute comments on any Cap One account I've had, where it's auto or credit card.  One of my Cap One's (my oldest open account) they have those dispute comments on and I have NEVER disputed that account as I was current.  I closed my Capital One Platinum card, to consolidate it with the oldest one, and the dispute remark is even on THAT one.  They closed the card, once I consolidated the card, they didn't give me a choice.  I really don't get them.  

Are you going FHA or conventional?  I am going Conventional so ALL dispute remarks have to be removed.  I'll probably give it a go next month, where I am not planning a purchase till next fall.  So I've got plenty of time.  

Keeping my fingers crossed for you.  You may have to call Cap One and speak to someone, a supervisor perhaps, that is more able to help. Tell them you aren't disputing ANYTHING at this time!   You can also google the CEO of Capital One and send him a nice email asking him if there is anyway he can help resolve this.  I have read some posts that have had favorable results in situations like this.  I have an email campaign going on right now, so we'll see how it goes.  

Hoping TU is your lowest score. 

Keep us posted!  Best of luck! Smiley Happy

My Wallet

Installment Loans

Current Scores 5/05/23

Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.