Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dispute Removal

tag
forever1948
Valued Member

Dispute Removal

Hi All!

My wife and I just signed a purchase agreement on a house. We were pre-approved for the loan but the mortgage broker informed that there were three trade lines on my CR's that said "disputed by consumer". I disputed these over a year while working on cleaning up my credit reports. My broker is telling me that to get this approved easier, I need to get these "disputed by consumer" remarks removed. I have read several threads about other people having the same problem. My question is, what method have others used to get these removed quickly? Call the CR's directly? Online? Snail mail? Go through the OC? I have 40 days to closing and would like to get this taken care of ASAP. Who has had success with this and how did you go about it?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. I have finally got my financial situation to the point I can get a home loan. I do not want something I did in the past to screw this up.

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Dispute Removal

I am in the same place you are! We read about disputing in order to verify OC / CA relationship, or to validate that a CA actually owns the accout, then are told not to pay it until close of escrow, but it is a "Catch 22." Fortunately, most of my disputes are medical and I used HIPPA to pay them. The last one I plan to pay at the close of escrow. Hopefully someone who knows more than we do will chime in and help with this dilemma.  

Message 2 of 19
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Quickest way in my experience is working directly with the credit agencies directly, a client of mine was able to get the dispute remarks removed within 3 days.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 3 of 19
forever1948
Valued Member

Re: Dispute Removalmean the

Thanks Shane!!! I was awaiting your response. Did you credit reporting agencies?

Thanks again!!!!

Message 4 of 19
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Welcome, not sure what your last question was though.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Message 5 of 19
forever1948
Valued Member

Got my tongue stuck. Did you mean work with the credit reporting agencies (TU,EQ,EP)? I hadn't got a response so that's what I went ahead and did today. Experian fixed it in 5 hours. I was shocked. Waiting on responses from EQ and TU.

Message 6 of 19
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Yes I meant working with TU, EQ & XP directly.  XP is quick, EQ is fairly quick, TU takes the longest in my experience.

Message 7 of 19
forever1948
Valued Member

Thanks for the help Shane!

I called all three CRA's to have the dispute comments removed. EXP and EQ had them removed in 8 hours! I was impressed. It's been a week and I still have not heard anything from TU. In my experience they always responded the quickest when I filed a dispute by mail. They always responded with in 8 days so I am surprised and a little concerned about the length of time. I have about 33 days until closing so I need to get this done quickly. Any advice on speeding up the process?

Message 8 of 19
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Just call back and talk to a new representative, it's hit or miss with the people at the credit reporting agencies.   Just like any large business you'll get people who don't care about their job, and you'll get people who take it very seriously.

Message 9 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I havae a dispute that is keeping me from my refinance. The credit agency (csc afiliate of equifax that handles their accounts in my region) tells me they will only accept a written notifacation with the creditors letterhead on it in order to remove it. The creditor (west asset management) tells me that they will only use what is called a udf (electronic) method to notify the agency. Called csc back and they said that was not acceptable. Is there nothing else I can do?

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.