Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dispute status -- Quick question

tag
RW771
Frequent Contributor

Dispute status -- Quick question

I have a quick question regarding an account that I had disputed a few months back and since settled. The credit card company and I came to an agreed amount in order to settle my charged off account and they reported it as paid with a $0 balance/past due on my credit report. It does however still show under the comments section that "Customer disputes" even though it is now at a $0 balance. I've disputed this comment section with the credit bureau and all they did was verify that it was paid and that was it.

Question I have is will this hold me up when it comes time to get pre-qualified here in a few months when we head back to the bank? When we went to the bank back in June and spoke to the LO we were told no accounts can be showing to be in dispute.

05/31/2013 672 EQ (Fico), 03/08/2012 697 TU (Fico)

Closed on my first home 12/07/11! Officially a homeowner, thanks to this forum!!!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
BrianB_The_Loan_Professor
Valued Contributor

Re: Dispute status -- Quick question

It could I would try to get rid of the dispute status - 

here is some info borrowed from Shane on how to get rid of disputes quickly

Disputes

The only way to remove those comments is to actually end the dispute. I've found the easiest way to accomplish this is by calling the credit bureaus directly themselves.

Experian's normal customer service line seems to be able to help. You need to have an Experian credit report before you call. Be very detailed on what you need to accomplish, usually it's taken care of within a day or two.

TransUnion is a bit more difficult, last success we had we called Cindy Hennessey, assistant to David Wolff, at (312) 985-2000, press 2, dial extension 3802. She was very helpful and took care of removing the dispute notations immediately.

Equifax was the hardest, regular customer service seemed a little confused/didn't have the authority to end the disputes. Had to eventually call the corporate office number at 404-885-8000, asked for customer relations, had to leave a voice mail, where someone called back within a few hours and ended the disputes.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Brian B The Loan Professor
Mortgage Banker - offering FHA, VA, USDA , and Conventional mortgages in all 50 states -

If I do not respond to a follow up question please feel free to contact me directly
Message 2 of 5
RW771
Frequent Contributor

Thank you for your reply. I contacted the credit bureau and explained the situation to them, and of course they sent me right back to contacting the CA. So I called the CA in which I settled with and was sent to their compliance dept. An automated system gave me an address that I can send a letter to them for my request and gave no other options as far as talking to a live individual, so I guess I'll need to send in a letter.

I saw on another post a link to sample letters that are on this site and can't seem to find them. I used the search box and still can't find them, and don't really even know if there is a sample letter I could use regarding this. I'll probably just type one up, just thought this might be a little easier if I was able to find one I could use.

Thanks again!

05/31/2013 672 EQ (Fico), 03/08/2012 697 TU (Fico)

Closed on my first home 12/07/11! Officially a homeowner, thanks to this forum!!!

Message 3 of 5
Booner72
Senior Contributor

When you called - did you ask to speak to the "Special Handling Department?" - I've recently read this works to get to a live agent.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 4 of 5
vetstorm91
New Contributor

Booner72 congrads

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.