Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disputes keeping me from a mortgage loan

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Disputes keeping me from a mortgage loan

I never realized that a dispute could harm me in the long run and keep me from getting a mortgage loan. My family and I lost everything and we've been living in a motel for a while now so I'm trying everything possible to get a house as soon as we can. Are there any mortgage lenders out there that will approve someone even with disputes showing on their credit profile? Even though it may negatively reflect on my score, how would I go about removing the disputes? 
Also, I was recently approved for another credit card (I'm trying to help build my credit back up as much as possible and this gives me a third card) and I'm curious if it would even be worth it to activate the card, or if it would do me more harm in the short term, since that will cause my score to drop some. Any recommendations on that as well would be appreciated. 

2 REPLIES 2
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

Re: Disputes keeping me from a mortgage loan

@Anonymous wrote:

I never realized that a dispute could harm me in the long run and keep me from getting a mortgage loan. My family and I lost everything and we've been living in a motel for a while now so I'm trying everything possible to get a house as soon as we can. Are there any mortgage lenders out there that will approve someone even with disputes showing on their credit profile? Even though it may negatively reflect on my score, how would I go about removing the disputes? 
Also, I was recently approved for another credit card (I'm trying to help build my credit back up as much as possible and this gives me a third card) and I'm curious if it would even be worth it to activate the card, or if it would do me more harm in the short term, since that will cause my score to drop some. Any recommendations on that as well would be appreciated. 

It won't help any to not activate the new card.   Once a card is approved it will report on your credit reports and then you get whatever gains or losses occur.    Disputes are common and most people have some disputes on their report.   They are usually labeled as "resolved."   You just need to write to each of the credit bureaus and attach a copy of your credit report and use a highlighter to show the dispute and ask them to remove it.   The credit bureaus know that people have to remove disputes in order to get approved for mortgage financing.    It's very common. You have the power to get the dispute notations removed.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Disputes keeping me from a mortgage loan

Thank you! 

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.