Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need to wait?

tag
sumthin28
Valued Member

Do I need to wait?

My situation is a bit weird, I will explain as quick as I can. Bad credit for a long time.. still recovering.

My dad signed for me to get a house 3 years ago because my credit wasn't good enough. His health was failing so he quit claimed the house to me last year because he was worried about siblings trying to take it from me if he passed. I am now on title, I would like to refi as soon as I can

58k owed  house will appraise for around 120k I think

My credit is iffy still    635-655 scores

3 paid judgements 1 cap one baddie (fully paid)

2 medical collections 150$ and 90$ (I dont think these are mine but they were verified after I disputed)

2 years ontime payments for a car lease 2005-2007(closed)

1 credit card opened 3-2013 and 3 others opened in 8-2013 all payed on time and such

48k annual income, I have also been making the house payments from my back account...I was told I might be able to use that as a trade line?

My question is simple, Do I have to wait until august so I will have 3 cards with 1 year of history to refinance? I really would like to refi in April so I can do some renovations to the house, rather then wait till summer is over.  I could add an authorised user account if thaat would help..but i heard mortgage companies dont like those so I didn't. Any advice would be helpful. ty

Starting Score 520
Current Score 649 Ex 658 Eq 665 Tu
Goal 700
AmEx everyday 1000 Boa travel rewards !000 Barclays 1300 Chase Freedom 3500 DiscoverIT 1400 Cap 1 Quicksilverone 300 Wallmart 600 Lowes 300 Paypal 500
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Re: Do I need to wait?

You should be able to refinance the mortgage into your name at this point.  When refinancing a mortgage that is currently in someone else's name into your name, there needs to be a continuity of obligation.  Since there is so much equity I'd recommend you look into conventional rather than FHA.  The rates won't be great because of your lower scores (unless you are OK with a 15-year fixed, something you should look into), but you won't have PMI so it should balance out.

Continuity of obligation exists when:

• At least one borrower is obligated on the new loan who was also a borrower obligated on the existing loan being refinanced.
• The borrower has been on title and residing in the property for at least 12 months and has either paid the mortgage for the last 12 months or can demonstrate a relationship (relative, domestic partner, etc.) with the current obligor.
• The loan being refinanced and the title to the property are in the name of a natural person or a limited liability company (LLC) as long as the borrower was a member of the LLC prior to transfer. Transfer of ownership from a corporation to an individual does not meet the continuity of obligation requirement.
• The borrower has recently inherited, or was legally awarded, the property (divorce, separation, or dissolution of a domestic partnership).

You would meet the 2nd bullet point above.  You can do the refinance as just refinancing what is owed or taking cash out (for the home improvements).

If you take a 15-year fixed (which improves chances of someone with lower scores to qualify for conventional) I bet you'd be fine to qualify, even a 30-year fixed could work out... but really compare the payments, because at your income level you could probably afford a 15-year fixed.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 2 of 5
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

agree with shane.

avoid fha..... a wee bit lower rate noth worth it for a bunch of pmi

Retired Lender
Message 3 of 5
sumthin28
Valued Member

wow I have never heard of that issue before, thank you for that good information. So then the 3 trade lines of 1 year is not a hard rule?.. I could qualify if I went the 15 yr route which I was considering anyway.  I appreciate the quick repy sir..I can see my new basement now lol

Starting Score 520
Current Score 649 Ex 658 Eq 665 Tu
Goal 700
AmEx everyday 1000 Boa travel rewards !000 Barclays 1300 Chase Freedom 3500 DiscoverIT 1400 Cap 1 Quicksilverone 300 Wallmart 600 Lowes 300 Paypal 500
Message 4 of 5
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

@sumthin28 wrote:

wow I have never heard of that issue before, thank you for that good information. So then the 3 trade lines of 1 year is not a hard rule?.. I could qualify if I went the 15 yr route which I was considering anyway.  I appreciate the quick repy sir..I can see my new basement now lol

Nope, definitely not a hard rule.  The 3 trade lines at 12 months is what some underwriters want to see, but there are plenty lenders out there that are OK with less for conventional... just need to get an automated underwriting approval.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.