Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I qualify for Conventional?

tag
radfam
Frequent Contributor

Do I qualify for Conventional?

As my scores inch up, trying to gauge how close I am to qualifying.

1. Mortgage Credit Scores:  
    • TU 657, EX 657, EQ 629 as of 2/6/18
2. Credit Negatives: If you have any, what negatives are on your credit reports. For each negative, please provide:
    • 2 Medical Collections (1 paid $285, 1 unpaid $200; working on both now for pay and removal.  Paid removed from one bureau so far, working on the rest and currently in progress on both.)
    • Lates (Zero in past year, now that I actually recognize how much these hurt, thanks to MyFico.)
    • 1 paid charge off auto loan (DOFD 11/2014)
    • Some SL tradelines reports as Paid Collection (loans reconsolidated into one.  Didn't know to rehab instead.)  
    • No TLs at all that are closed are reporting a balance of any type.
3. Gross IncomeGross income (before witholdings, medical/dental, 401k contributions), per your IRS tax returns, is what is important when qualifying, not net income. 
    • ~105k annual by myself (DH at 56k but won't be on loan so can't count that portion.  Total household income ~160k annual)
4. Source of income.  Where is the income coming from? List each source.
    • FTE
5. Monthly debt payments
    • Auto loan ($469/mo; $16k remaining)
    • Credit Card ($35/mo; overall utl 26% as of right this moment but pay down every month to 8% before it reports) *3 total cards, only one with a balance.  Total of all cards at $2600 SL. 
    • Student Loan ($364 on IBR; $111k total)
    • Current Rent - $2200 (does not report to CRAs but perfect rental history 3 years)
6. Employment (for those who are employed). 
    • Type of employment: Full Time in the career field of my Master's degree
    • How long 3 Yrs 
7. Assets/Reserves
    • ~30k (Not planning to use all of that for down.  Aiming for 5% down.)
8. Location:  North Houston, TX
9. Property Description: 
    • Single Family Home
10. Property Value
    • $349,900
11. Occupancy
    • Primary residence
      • 7 occupants (2 adults, 5 children) *Spouse will not be included on mortgage, though he will live in the home.  TX is a Community Property state.
12. Transaction Type.  Purchase, Conventional loan.  FHA/USDA/etc not an option at this time.  
Fico 8 as of 03/09/2023:

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
kc0039
Established Contributor

Re: Do I qualify for Conventional?

wrote:

2. Credit Negatives: If you have any, what negatives are on your credit reports. For each negative, please provide:
    • 2 Medical Collections (1 paid $285, 1 unpaid $200; working on both now for pay and removal.  Paid removed from one bureau so far, working on the rest and currently in progress on both.)
    • Lates (Zero in past year, now that I actually recognize how much these hurt, thanks to MyFico.)
    • Some SL tradelines reports as Paid Collection (loans reconsolidated into one.  Didn't know to rehab instead.)  
3. Gross IncomeGross income (before witholdings, medical/dental, 401k contributions), per your IRS tax returns, is what is important when qualifying, not net income. 
    • ~105k annual by myself (DH at 56k but won't be on loan so can't count that portion.  Total household income ~160k annual)
    • FTE
5. Monthly debt payments
    • Credit Card ($35/mo; overall utl 26% as of right this moment but pay down every month to 8% before it reports) *3 total cards, only one with a balance.  Total of all cards at $2600 SL. 
    • Current Rent - $2200 (does not report to CRAs but perfect rental history 3 years)
    • How long 3 Yrs 
7. Assets/Reserves
9. Property Description: 
    • Single Family Home
10. Property Value
    • $349,900
11. Occupancy
    • Primary residence
      • 7 occupants (2 adults, 5 children) *Spouse will not be included on mortgage, though he will live in the home.  TX is a Community Property state.
12. Transaction Type.  Purchase, Conventional loan.  FHA/USDA/etc not an option at this time.  

1. That will make the rates high with your score. 

2. Income looks good. Is it just salary or with overtime and/or bonus?

3. 5% down is $17,500. Add an additional 3% of the sale price for costs

4. I calculate PMI to be around $420.00/month with that score and loan-to-value. 

5. Payment with taxes just under 3%, HOI at $1,400 per year, and rate at 5% would be around $3,120.

6. You'd qualify easily with a conventional loan, but do you want to with that PMI that much per month?

Licensed in IL
Message 2 of 4
radfam
Frequent Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

• FTE
5. Monthly debt payments
    • How long 3 Yrs 
7. Assets/Reserves
9. Property Description: 
    • Single Family Home
10. Property Value
    • $349,900
11. Occupancy
    • Primary residence

1. That will make the rates high with your score. 

2. Income looks good. Is it just salary or with overtime and/or bonus?

3. 5% down is $17,500. Add an additional 3% of the sale price for costs

4. I calculate PMI to be around $420.00/month with that score and loan-to-value. 

5. Payment with taxes just under 3%, HOI at $1,400 per year, and rate at 5% would be around $3,120.

6. You'd qualify easily with a conventional loan, but do you want to with that PMI that much per month?

1.  Still plugging away at my score so hoping to see some more movement before we actually are ready to get "serious" about it and start lender talks.

2.  Income is salary + guaranteed bonus, not factoring my upcoming 4% raise ~mid-march

3.  That is roughly what I calculated too.  Ideally, I would like to put down 20k or less and have reserves for closing costs as well in the event that I can't get seller-paid closing.

4-6.  PMI is expected I guess, though I had no idea what to expect and I am sure it will vary until we lock in with a lender.  While it super sucks to take PMI, its almost better than the alternative.  We have paid 80k in rent since we moved into our rental in 12/2014.  I'd rather pay PMI than keep paying rent like that.  I know thats not what you meant or asked, just clarifying. Smiley Happy

At what point do we get to drop PMI?  20% equity in the house?  Also, our tax rate is 3.2%. Just a small difference more than what was calculated but every bit makes a difference.  

I put that price on the estimated mortgage because that is as high as I could even remotely guess we would go.  There are much higher homes in our neighborhood but I also don't want to be house-poor.  We are realistically trying to shoot for under 250k and still meet the bedroom and living space that we want. 

Fico 8 as of 03/09/2023:

Message 3 of 4
kc0039
Established Contributor

1.  Still plugging away at my score so hoping to see some more movement before we actually are ready to get "serious" about it and start lender talks.

2.  Income is salary + guaranteed bonus, not factoring my upcoming 4% raise ~mid-march

3.  That is roughly what I calculated too.  Ideally, I would like to put down 20k or less and have reserves for closing costs as well in the event that I can't get seller-paid closing.

4-6.  PMI is expected I guess, though I had no idea what to expect and I am sure it will vary until we lock in with a lender.  While it super sucks to take PMI, its almost better than the alternative.  We have paid 80k in rent since we moved into our rental in 12/2014.  I'd rather pay PMI than keep paying rent like that.  I know thats not what you meant or asked, just clarifying. Smiley Happy

At what point do we get to drop PMI?  20% equity in the house?  Also, our tax rate is 3.2%. Just a small difference more than what was calculated but every bit makes a difference.  

I put that price on the estimated mortgage because that is as high as I could even remotely guess we would go.  There are much higher homes in our neighborhood but I also don't want to be house-poor.  We are realistically trying to shoot for under 250k and still meet the bedroom and living space that we want. 

PMI automatically drops off at when original LTV is below 78%. You can request it to come off IF and only IF you pay for an appraisal to prove that you have 20% equity already. Get your score to $680 and your PMI will be lower by roughly around $100

Licensed in IL
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.