cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does having too much available credit REALLY hurt your mortgage chances?

tag
KillingThemGingerly
Contributor

Does having too much available credit REALLY hurt your mortgage chances?

have A LOT of available credit with quite a few credit cards. I ALWAYS pay my bills on time and even always pay the statement balance in full (credit score of about 800). 

I did a deep dive on the internet about if having too much available credit could be a red flag for mortgage lenders. I came across a bunch of threads on various forums, some old, some fairly recent, and some that were Canadian which idk if even applies to me since I am in the US. The answers were all over the place! In the not too distant future, I would like to buy a home. So is it true or not that having too much available credit actively can hinder your chance of getting a mortgage approval?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
NoMoreE46
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

Re: Does having too much available credit REALLY hurt your mortgage chances?

A Lot is subjective. 

Care to quantify your total CL and the number of cards?

Message 2 of 8
KillingThemGingerly
Contributor

@NoMoreE46 wrote:

A Lot is subjective. 

Care to quantify your total CL and the number of cards?

Probably about 200,000 over 15 cards (yes I know that's a lot). 

Message 3 of 8
NoMoreE46
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

Given that the avg total CL is ~ $30,000,  yours is 6x more than the typical US consumer.   For perspective though, there is a MF user here with a $250,000 limit - on One card...

If you are shopping for a

mortgage, I would not close any cards Unless your loan officer advises so.  Typically, a lender may ask you to pay down certain debts to meet their monthly DTI standard.

Message 4 of 8
NoMoreE46
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

Also a lot of lenders use older FICO versions.

Message 5 of 8
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Not much for credit scoring, probably not at all for mortgage underwriting.  Proceed with confidence.

I did see that reason code on TU FICO 4 when I had 20 open tradelines, but even with 15 now I'm still over 800 on a mortgage pull and nobody says boo with an aggregate CL north of 250K.  Actually I don't see that reason code on my TU FICO 4 now, but it was never on either of the other two mortgage scores.

Doesn't matter rationally, I wouldn't worry about it.  I doubt there's even some weird overlay on this one, not on conventional or FHA loans.  Portfolio loans might be a little squirrely, but those are few and far between in the United States with the exception of jumbo loans and there 250K CL isn't a big deal.

        
Message 6 of 8
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

They don't care about too much available credit at all for mortgages at least conventional.  Now what they do care about is if they see what is owed going up while in UW process.  I had 700k+ in personal credit when going through mortgage process not an eye blinked or asked about.  Actually was the smoothest UW I ever went through on last mortgage that closed in june 2022.  No letter or explanations just typical forms such as tax returns, etc..

Note my middle mortgage scores was > 800 as well.  I even was allowed to apply for a CC before closing so I could start spending on stuff on new house given approval from loan officer/uw at this bank as they knew my scores were solid and be closed/sold before anything.   I did wait to switch to my new job until I closed thoughSmiley Happy.  edit: I wouldn't be spending on stuff prior to closing like me I got permission due to scores/income/dti and various other factors that allowed for this.  

Message 7 of 8
TryItAgain
Regular Contributor

Between major V,MC,D,AX cards, retail cards, and lines of credit I have over 500k avail over maybe 30-35 total accounts on personal. (Many more on business only credit). I have never run into a situation where having too much credit has affected me yet, although I am sure it could under some scenarios. If it did it would most likely happen with other credit card companies wondering why I wanted more credit.

I'm average 805-825 over the 3 major credit bureau Fico scores as of today but a lower 788 mid mortgage score. I had no problem obtaining a mortgage recently, the amount of available credit never came up. YMMV

(Ch7 Discharged 12/12) AvgScore 807

Personal-
NFCU Platinum 50k | NFCU Flagship 20k | NFCU More Rewards 10k | NFCU NavChek PLOC 15k | PenFed Power Cash 25k | PenFed Gold 15k | PenFed Pathfinder 10k | PenFed OLOC 3K | GTE Financial CU 15k | VyStar CU Cash Back 25k | VyStar CU PLOC 15k | FNBO Evergreen 25k | FNBO 11.85K | BofA Cash Rewards 10.1k | Capital One Venture 13k | Capital One QS 7k | PNC Cash Rewards 15.5k | Citi Costco 8.5k | US Bank Cash+ 10k | Discover 14.8k | Discover 14.1k | Regions Cash 6k | Truist Enjoy Cash 9k | Truist Future 6.5k | Elan Max Cash 7k | Wells Fargo Reflect 20k | Fifth Third 7k | USAA PrefRew 15k | CFNA Tires Plus MC 8k | GM Rewards 3.5k | TD Bank Cash 3.5k | Amex BCP 3K | Lowes Store 30k | Sleep Number Store 13.5k | Home Depot Store 10k | Amazon Store 10k | Care Credit 15k | Walmart Store 6k | JCrew 25k | Jared 18.6k | HSN 4.1K | King Size 4k | Buckle 3.1k

Business-
Amex BBC 25k | Amex BBP 22k | Amex Business Platinum NPSL 30.4kPoT | Citizens Business Everyday 35k | Sams Club Business MC 25K | US Bank Business Plat 24k | Capital One Spark 2% 22k | Marcus GM Business 12.5k | Capital On Tap 2% 10k | Chase Ink 3k | Divvy 7k | PNC BLOC 50K | Citizens BLOC 50K | (Private) BLOC 75K | WEX Business Access Fuel 30k | Sams Bus Store 25k
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.