cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does my wife have to be on my mortgage app?

tag
aschlumbohm
Established Member

Does my wife have to be on my mortgage app?

My wife's credit has taken a couple of dings recently, but my credit is doing great. My EQ is 684 and my TU is 694. My wife is a homemaker, so she will not have any income to add to the app. We did file jointly for 2012. Does she need to be included on the mortgage app?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Carrie_in_Pa
Established Member

Re: Does my wife have to be on my mortgage app?

I think it depends on the lender and how you want the title to be.

My parents bought their house 20 years ago and it was just my father that did the financing but he had the deed written in both of their names.

Recently I applied for a mortgage (was denied) and the bank said it is their policy to include all names that will be on the deed to be a part of the application process. They also informed me that it can be changed later.

So i suggest you ask the bank or lender what their specific policy is.

Starting Score: 382 - 418 (2005) -- Current Score: 628 (TU08) -- 661 (Beacon 5.0) -- Goal Score: 750+
Into the Garden 6-15-2014 -- Digging in the dirt until 6-2015
Message 2 of 5
BePositive
New Contributor

@aschlumbohm wrote:

My wife's credit has taken a couple of dings recently, but my credit is doing great. My EQ is 684 and my TU is 694. My wife is a homemaker, so she will not have any income to add to the app. We did file jointly for 2012. Does she need to be included on the mortgage app?

Thanks!

@aschlumbohm wrote:

Thanks!

Hey there, No she does not have to be on the mortgage. Normally a co-borrower is added if you need it to help with income so your debt to income ratios can be lowered if they are too high. Since you are married you can put her on title - just let title co or attorney know you want title vested in your name and your wifes. 

Current Scores: EQ 680, TU 698, EX 698 - MyFico
Message 3 of 5
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

Depending on which state is your domicile, your wife will automatically be on title even when not on the mortgage app. No...she does not need to be on the mortgage app since she has not income.

Message 4 of 5
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@aschlumbohm wrote:

Thanks!

Are you in a community property state? If so, then her debt will be considered if you apply for an FHA/VA or USDA loan (not a conventional loan).

If you aren't in a community property state, then you can apply on your own and her credit and debt will not be considered at all.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.