Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Employment Verification and gap ?

tag
Familywantsahouse
Frequent Contributor

Employment Verification and gap ?

Any thoughts on this situation would be appreciated! Almost a year ago (middle June, not sure of the exact day) my husband was passed over for a promotion at his job and had some old issues with the new manager (long story, guy was a loose cannon) chosen so basically he was let go in favor of the new manager (who by the way lasted less than 2 month with the company)

He started at his new position in mid July. He was supposed to have started earlier, but his boss had to travel for business and delayed his start a few days. The offer letter was extended to him within the 30 day time frame.

Now, here's my ?...when he was "let go" he was actually paid through early July due to vacation time and a 2 week severance...when they call to verify his employment with the old company any idea what date they are going to give in terms of his employment length there? It's literally a matter of 2 days over a 30 day gap if they go by he date he was actually let go from company a, and the day he techincally started with company B....but he was paid by company A until a few days before he actually started with company B.

I suspect that a letter that his employment was delayed starting at company B due to his boss traveling would be sufficient, but I'm trying to determine if there will be any challenges. Company A is a large fortune 500 company, so I believe his employment will be verified with their corporate HQ's. No one even works in the branch he was in who was there when he was there currently....so 'm wondering if they just go by the paid through date?

2/24 (Lender Pull) EQ 613, TU 553, EX 589
April EQ 633, My Fico TU 638, EX ??
Current EQ 643, TU 652, EX 633 (lender pull 5/11)
Goal (we made it!!)- Over 640 middle by 5/15
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

Re: Employment Verification and gap ?

@Familywantsahouse wrote:

Any thoughts on this situation would be appreciated! Almost a year ago (middle June, not sure of the exact day) my husband was passed over for a promotion at his job and had some old issues with the new manager (long story, guy was a loose cannon) chosen so basically he was let go in favor of the new manager (who by the way lasted less than 2 month with the company)

He started at his new position in mid July. He was supposed to have started earlier, but his boss had to travel for business and delayed his start a few days. The offer letter was extended to him within the 30 day time frame.

Now, here's my ?...when he was "let go" he was actually paid through early July due to vacation time and a 2 week severance...when they call to verify his employment with the old company any idea what date they are going to give in terms of his employment length there? It's literally a matter of 2 days over a 30 day gap if they go by he date he was actually let go from company a, and the day he techincally started with company B....but he was paid by company A until a few days before he actually started with company B.

I suspect that a letter that his employment was delayed starting at company B due to his boss traveling would be sufficient, but I'm trying to determine if there will be any challenges. Company A is a large fortune 500 company, so I believe his employment will be verified with their corporate HQ's. No one even works in the branch he was in who was there when he was there currently....so 'm wondering if they just go by the paid through date?

They will likely go by whatever HR states... I have to take a leave every 2 years, but its considered a furlough and my anniversary date never changed.

My guess, is they will use the Jul date as his anniversary date, not his previous date... just a guess tho.. I am basing this due to how he left and came back, sounds like he was let go, and then brought back a month later, not a 'scheduled' kind of furlough

Just have DH call HR and find out his anniversary date

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 2 of 5
Familywantsahouse
Frequent Contributor

Thank you. I just firmed up the exact dates, and it's literally 29 days from the last day he worked at the old position and the day he started the new one. I still think they'd go by the time he was paid through anyways...but I can breathe again now.

Message 3 of 5
LondonMassey
Frequent Contributor

If that is the only gap in employment an LOE should suffice if it's even necessary.  Really shouldn't be a red flag.  I know when I was laid off from the state, my term date was on record with personnel from whatever the department put down and from my own HR experience, that is what is kept in an employee file and the information that is pulled.  But really, considering the state of the economy the last few years... 29 days shouldn't be an issue. Not to mention that he obtained a position so quickly.  Now was he hired and then his start date postponed?  or was he not "hired" until his first day.  Hiring dates are often different than one's actual first day.  Which means that even though he wasn't working and earning anything, he was technically employed. Smiley Wink But still... I really don't even think it will matter any more than a LOE.

Cap1(sc) 550, Cap1 750, Walmart 750, Home Depot 3000, Amazon 700, US Bank 1500, Childrens Place 1100, JC Penney 700, Old Navy 700, PayPal 700, Torrid 700, Lane Bryant 150, Avenue 500, OSP 500, Amex Blue 2000, Disc it 1000, Walmart Disc 2200, Old Navy Visa 1700, Mortgage 09-2012, Car Loan 03-2013

Current Score: EQ 665 EX 687 TU 695

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 5
Familywantsahouse
Frequent Contributor

Yes. I have a copy of his offer letter which is dated 10 days before he actually started. He was offered the job 19 days after the last day he actually worked, but he was still techincally paid from the first company through the time the offer was made from the second.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.