cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ever hung up with a lender and felt like your ears were going to start bleeding?

tag
lpayton
Regular Contributor

Ever hung up with a lender and felt like your ears were going to start bleeding?

I did today.  First they said "Get your score to a 620".  SO I am on the brink of breaking a 620, and I called today...and they said "Oh, yeah, a 640 would be better.  And about these collections...they ALL need to be paid off."

I almost fell over. 

I thought in my tiny brain that if I paid off the recent collections, had what I could deleted, established new healthy credit with new credit cards (never had credit cards before in my life)...that increase in my score would do the trick and wa-la! I get my slice of the American Pie.  Now I am being told I have to pay EVERY SINGLE collection..the scrubs from 2006...and the @#$% cable bill collection for $419 that the CA refuses to validate or remove.  Sigh.

So close.  Yet so far away. 

Is this true? Tell me the dummy at Quicken was wrong.

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Re: Ever hung up with a lender and felt like your ears were going to start bleeding?

I believe you need 12 months of clean credit.  It would be up to the underwriter if you have to pay off your collections or not.  it is probably true that different lenders have different regulations - the score is what gets you in the door.  I sent you a PM.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Ever hung up with a lender and felt like your ears were going to start bleeding?

I just closed 3 hours ago (yay!) and had several open collections that were not required to be paid.  However, my score is above 640 and this was a USDA guranteed loan so that may have made a difference.  I do believe they are more strict with collections if your score is 620-639.

Message 3 of 17
lpayton
Regular Contributor

Booner...nothing Bad within the last 12 months.  All my baddies are medical from a bout with Epilepsy my son had back in '05/'06 when he was 3.  Wouldn't it figure he had his first seizure the DAY (literally) I got laid off and lost insurance?? Anyways. There is also the stupid cable bill from Time Warner, and a couple others not Medical that are from about 3 years ago.  Other than that, nothing new...bad or good.  So i got the cap one secured thingy...and I applied for the Orchard and waiting.  Denial at everywhere else.  I am like a walking denial.  Macy's didn't even bother denying me, just said "thank you for applying"...LMAO....

Veggs...congrats! I am in love with a house in my area...I mean...IN LOVE.  I so hope that I can get this crap dealt with and that it is still on the market.  2200 square foot, 4 bedroom, built in the 20's with original hard wood flooring, fireplace, arched doorways and built in bookshelves on a .25 acre lot (Completely fenced yard) with a HUGE wrap around porch for $99k.  It is literally my dream house.

I am hoping to use my VA loan so I can do 100% financing, just gotta do what I can and let the chips fall where they may.  

Sigh. 

Off to bang head into wall now. 

Message 4 of 17
Booner72
Senior Contributor

It looks like you just need 4 tiny little points on your TU to get over the 620 hump.  I'm crossing my fingers for you!

Message 5 of 17
lpayton
Regular Contributor

thanks! the score simulator says my score will go to a 640'ish when the cap one credit card with the HUGE(lol) $200 limit starts reporting.  We shall see. 

Message 6 of 17
Booner72
Senior Contributor

I hope it reports fast.  Our Lowe's card thru GEMONEY reported within a week!  Both DH who was the cardholder and on my reports as the Authorized User.

Message 7 of 17
incognitony
Frequent Contributor

Was it Ray or Colin ? They (from Quicken)  did some dumb stuff when I started the home loan process 2 months (years it seems) ago. For you score try American Financial Resources , still pretty dumb but WILL do under 620.

Message 8 of 17
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Have you tried pay for delete letters on the collections?

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 17
lpayton
Regular Contributor

Yep.  One of my favorite methods and I have seen quite a nice score increase in the last month from using them. Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.