cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exactly how much will a paid auto-loan help my credit?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Exactly how much will a paid auto-loan help my credit?

Hello, I have a auto-loan that will be paid off in about a years time, I have been paying it on-time and never missed a payment. I was just wondering exactly how much of a effect will it be when I make my last payment. Thanks
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Exactly how much will a paid auto-loan help my credit?

Is this the only open installment loan you have? If yes, your scores might go down or pretty much stay the same. It's very unlikely your scores will improve.
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@fused wrote:
Is this the only open installment loan you have? If yes, your scores might go down or pretty much stay the same. It's very unlikely your scores will improve.

Oh wow, haha. Yeah, it's the only installment loan I have on my credit, other than my credit cards (which are all good also). So paying off the loan really does not much? Does that mean I might as well trade the car in if I am planning to purchase a new one? What would be the best course of action if I am ready to move on to a new car? Thanks
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit card accounts are not installment loans.  Installment loans require you to pay a pre-determined, exact amount each month for a set period of time.  Examples: car loan, student loan, mortgage.
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Credit card accounts are not installment loans.  Installment loans require you to pay a pre-determined, exact amount each month for a set period of time.  Examples: car loan, student loan, mortgage.

Yeah, I know. I was just pointing out that I have other loans on my credit (non-installment). So one finished installment loan won't really help me huh? lol
Message 5 of 6
gmanuel71
Valued Member

I got a 45 point jump when I paid mine off.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.