Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excluding Debt with the new Jan. 2018 guidelines

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Excluding Debt with the new Jan. 2018 guidelines

I have a question...

I co-signed last year with a relative of my on a car loan. I am listed as the borrower and she is listed as the co-borrower on the loan because my income was higher and my credit scores were higher. On the title my name is before hers but there is not a "and/or" in between. Georgia does not recognize that anyhow. Well, a few disputes later and now she has left the state with the car that we bought together.

She stopped answering any of my calls or texts after telling me that I have no choice but to wait to get my name off of the loan because her credit scores are good enough to refinance on her own loan and she doesn't want another cosigner. Terrible person? Yes, but she wasn't always like that.

My question is since she has been making all of the payments on time and sometimes early (along with a few extra payments) since we got the car in June 2017 would I be able to apply for a mortgage and have that debt excluded after the 12 months have passed? She makes extra payments sometimes but the account is set up on auto pay from her bank account. I'm sure I wouldn't be able to get her to send bank statements showing that the payments are coming out of her account for proof for a lender but would it be okay if I could show the lender my bank accounts (2-one for bills and the other for savings) to prove that they are not coming from my account?

Any advice or solutions is welcome and appreciated

P.S.  I PROMISE I have learned my lesson on cosigning for anything.

1 REPLY 1
kc0039
Established Contributor

Re: Excluding Debt with the new Jan. 2018 guidelines

@Anonymouswrote:

I have a question...

I co-signed last year with a relative of my on a car loan. I am listed as the borrower and she is listed as the co-borrower on the loan because my income was higher and my credit scores were higher. On the title my name is before hers but there is not a "and/or" in between. Georgia does not recognize that anyhow. Well, a few disputes later and now she has left the state with the car that we bought together.

She stopped answering any of my calls or texts after telling me that I have no choice but to wait to get my name off of the loan because her credit scores are good enough to refinance on her own loan and she doesn't want another cosigner. Terrible person? Yes, but she wasn't always like that.

My question is since she has been making all of the payments on time and sometimes early (along with a few extra payments) since we got the car in June 2017 would I be able to apply for a mortgage and have that debt excluded after the 12 months have passed? She makes extra payments sometimes but the account is set up on auto pay from her bank account. I'm sure I wouldn't be able to get her to send bank statements showing that the payments are coming out of her account for proof for a lender but would it be okay if I could show the lender my bank accounts (2-one for bills and the other for savings) to prove that they are not coming from my account?

Any advice or solutions is welcome and appreciated

P.S.  I PROMISE I have learned my lesson on cosigning for anything

That's tough but I doubt you can exclude that car payment

Licensed in IL
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.