Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Experience with old debt and manual underwriting

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Experience with old debt and manual underwriting

My wife and I are planning on buying a house next year. Our credit is rebuilding, but our gains in the last 2 years are encouraging (410-599 in 18 months for me)

One of the pillars of the plan was to wait for some of my old CC debt from first marriage that was charged off to hit the 7 year mark and be excluded from the score.

After lots of reading on the forums though it sounds like if the loan is for more than 150k, which it likely will be, a manual review will happen and the underwriters may very well ask that we pay those old debts which are about 8k altogether.

My question is, has this happened to anyone, or can anyone speak to the frequency of this? If all goes according to plan they will be the only unpaid debts from my dubious past, and history since I got back on my feet has been stellar.

Should I be worried?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

Re: Experience with old debt and manual underwriting

@Anonymous wrote:

My wife and I are planning on buying a house next year. Our credit is rebuilding, but our gains in the last 2 years are encouraging (410-599 in 18 months for me)

One of the pillars of the plan was to wait for some of my old CC debt from first marriage that was charged off to hit the 7 year mark and be excluded from the score.

After lots of reading on the forums though it sounds like if the loan is for more than 150k, which it likely will be, a manual review will happen and the underwriters may very well ask that we pay those old debts which are about 8k altogether.   loan amount does not determine whether a file gets downgraded to a manual underwrite

My question is, has this happened to anyone, or can anyone speak to the frequency of this? If all goes according to plan they will be the only unpaid debts from my dubious past, and history since I got back on my feet has been stellar.

Should I be worried?

if your file isnt approved thru automated underwriting (DU)..... the lender can try to get it done manually.

some files will get approved thru automated and get file downgraded to manual.... most common reason for this currently is if there are dispiutes

Retired Lender
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Experience with old debt and manual underwriting

so if I do go to manual underwrite, will my 7+year old derogs hit me?

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.