Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FHA 1.5% Loan Origination fee

tag
JusdoNit
Established Contributor

FHA 1.5% Loan Origination fee

At first I was told that it was 1%.  Now I am being told that there is an 1.5% origination fee for my loan.  Is this really possible or are they allowed to charge up to 1.5% and this loan officer is choosing to take the high road?????Smiley Indifferent

Experts or those recently familiar please chime in

Starting Score: 722
Current Score: Now 687 what the hockey sticks...from a 784 (Aug 12 EX 751 EQ Fico)
Goal Score: 800

If your outGo is more than your INcome than your UpKeep will become your downFALL.

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: FHA 1.5% Loan Origination fee

What does the good faith estimate say?

What is your interest rate? Remember the rate and the fees are inversely related (higher the fee, lower the rate and vice versa).

Message 2 of 17
JusdoNit
Established Contributor

The rate is 4%.  The origination fee is 1.5% fha

Current Score: Now 687 what the hockey sticks...from a 784 (Aug 12 EX 751 EQ Fico)

If your outGo is more than your INcome than your UpKeep will become your downFALL.

Message 3 of 17
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

If you are reading off the written Good Faith Estimate the origination fee includes your appraisal fee, credit report, flood certification as well as your adjusted origination charges. The part that is labeled "adjusted origination charges" is the fee your lender/mortgage broker is charging you to get the loan. The other items are third party venders.

So, is the "adjusted origination charges" equal to the 1% originally quoted? If not, you might want to consider another lender.

Message 4 of 17
JusdoNit
Established Contributor

No.  From what I see all those other fees are still listed and on their own seperate lines.  It seems a bit high.  

Message 5 of 17
JusdoNit
Established Contributor

It says Fees Details Worksheet

Message 6 of 17
boomhower
Valued Contributor

FInd another lender ASAP.  You should be looking at 1%  and 3.75%. 

Message 7 of 17
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@JusdoNit wrote:

It says Fees Details Worksheet

Many lenders supply a Fees Details Worksheet or similar document rather than a Good Faith Estimate if you haven't put the property under contract yet. The "clock" for the lenders starts running when you supply the purchase and sale contract and make official application. They have 3 business days to supply the official GFE (Good Faith Estimate) in order to meet RESPA requirements.

The Fees Details Worksheet should mirror the costs on the GFE.

All the costs should be itemized - it sounds like that  is what the lender is showing you. As to the costs, shop lenders to get the best overall combination of rate and terms. Remember the lender can't lock in anything anyway until you have a contract on a specific property. Rates fluctuate slightly all the time. It's not really possible to tell if you are getting a good deal or not with just the posted information.

Message 8 of 17
JusdoNit
Established Contributor

Thanks for the insight.  I think the program I am using sets the rate @4%, but that 1.5 origination fee still doesnt set well.  I will inquire more.  

Thanks again Smiley Indifferent

Message 9 of 17
JusdoNit
Established Contributor

Anymore helpful feedback?

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.