Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FHA 20 Year Mortgage?

tag
twoaklawn
Valued Member

FHA 20 Year Mortgage?

Is it possible to get a 20 year mortgage with FHA?  I'd like to get a mortgage that will be paid off at retirement, but don't think I can qualify for conventional financing.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: FHA 20 Year Mortgage?

I don't know if there is but if there isn't.....

you can get a 30 year loan...

set up your payments to be biweekly (whcih amonts to one extra payment a month)

and it will be over in 24 years.

Message 2 of 5
twoaklawn
Valued Member

I had not thought of that.  Do most FHA mortgages allow extra payments with no prepayment penalties, or does that just vary by lender?
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would think that since the FHA is only the guarantor and not the lender, it varies by lender. I close on 4/24 and I was ENCOURAGED by my lender to set up by weekly payments so I could pay it off early.

My mom's boss said that she did the biweekly thing with an extra 50.00 every two weeks and it paid off in 15 years.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@twoaklawn wrote:
Do most FHA mortgages allow extra payments with no prepayment penalties, or does that just vary by lender?

FHA forbids prepayment penalties on loans it insures.  I couldn't actually find this tidbit on the FHA website but I found it a number of other places.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.