Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FHA Downpayment

tag
MoBra
New Contributor

FHA Downpayment

If I am applying for a FHA mortgage in my name only can my spouse get a cash advance from a credit card for gift funds?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: FHA Downpayment

No, because it is borrowed funds. The lender has to source the funds. 

Message 2 of 13
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

Downpayment cannot be borrowed funds. You have to prove the source of a downpayment. We cannot advise you how to get around that requirement.

Message 3 of 13
MoBra
New Contributor

Thanks, I thought so.

Message 4 of 13
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Why don't you try one or more of the following:

• You are allowed to borrow from a 401k or similar type retirement fund (that you have)
  • Gift funds are allowable - even 100% gift, from a relative
  • You can sell things around the house to put together a down payment, just keep good records of what it is you sold, to whom. how much etc.  Or have the funds from the sale in your account for a min of 60 days prior to application
  • Get a second job - you won't be able to use the income to qualify, but you can use it to save up a down payment
  • What about crowdfunding? Start a request for a down payment on one of the legitimate crowdfunding sites

You can do it. It just might take a little bit of planning to get the down payment you need.

Message 5 of 13
MoBra
New Contributor

Those are all great suggestions! If the gift comes from a grandparent, would they require the grandparents bank statement? My grandfather would give me the money but he wouldn't provide anyone with his bank statements. Old school fella!

Message 6 of 13
MoBra
New Contributor

Meaning there is a way around it....LOL! Thanks for the response.Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 13
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@MoBra wrote:

Those are all great suggestions! If the gift comes from a grandparent, would they require the grandparents bank statement? My grandfather would give me the money but he wouldn't provide anyone with his bank statements. Old school fella!

The lender has to see the source of the gift. So yes, if you have gift funds, the lender will want to see the bank statement of the gift donor to verify the funds.

Message 8 of 13
MoBra
New Contributor

@StartingOver10 wrote:

@MoBra wrote:

The lender has to see the source of the gift. So yes, if you have gift funds, the lender will want to see the bank statement of the gift donor to verify the funds.

Great information and very much needed. Thanks! Will they require two months bank statements from the Grandparent?

Message 9 of 13
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

I don't know if they will ask for two statements or just one for the gift funds verification.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.