Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FHA Loan - Charged off private student loan

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

FHA Loan - Charged off private student loan

Hi Everyone, 

I’ve been scouring the forum and have read mixed responses on this question. I have an old private student loan from 2013 that has been charged off, reporting a zero balance. The statute of limitations has also passed in my state to collect. The account has never gone to collections and there is no judgement against me. I recently received pre-approval for an FHA loan. Will this completely derail me during underwriting? 

Thanks in advance!

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: FHA Loan - Charged off private student loan

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi Everyone, 

I’ve been scouring the forum and have read mixed responses on this question. I have an old private student loan from 2013 that has been charged off, reporting a zero balance. The statute of limitations has also passed in my state to collect. The account has never gone to collections and there is no judgement against me. I recently received pre-approval for an FHA loan. Will this completely derail me during underwriting? 

Thanks in advance!

I can't say whether or not if it will derail your loan.  I can say this though they might ask for a Letter Of Explanation (LOE).  If they do just keep it simple and be truthful say why it happened and how you fixed the issue for it not to happen again.

Message 2 of 3
VALoanMaster
Valued Contributor

Re: FHA Loan - Charged off private student loan

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi Everyone, 

Thanks in advance!

Hi Trkan001,

As long as it wasn't government backed & it was charged off, this account should not be an issue. If the lender you're working says otherwise, it's time to find a new lender.

VA Mortgage Expert. Mortgage Banker lending in All 50 States.
VA, FHA, USDA. Jumbo, Conventional.
CAIVRS Expert.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.