Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FHA Mortgage + Student Loans w/IBR

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: FHA Mortgage + Student Loans w/IBR

Consumer Real Estate Finance Co.out of Ft. Lauderdale. It was mostly a good experience with a few hiccups but in the end we closed on our deal. They were excellent with communicating with us overall but our LO was brand new (although he didn't state this I found out on NMLS) and occasionally his communication was not so hot but nothing like the weeks of lack of communication I have heard about and even when we got cold feet he steadied the boat and moved us forward.
Message 11 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks,

I live(rent) in a county that qualifies for USDA but was told that they would have to use 1% and not my IBR payment. Unless, of course, my IBR still kept me within the DTI guidelines.

Message 12 of 24
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks,

I live(rent) in a county that qualifies for USDA but was told that they would have to use 1% and not my IBR payment. Unless, of course, my IBR still kept me within the DTI guidelines.

USDA will never use an IBR payment.  If you are on an IBR payment, then USDA will use 1% of the balance to qualify.  Freddie Mac will use the IBR payment though, assuming it's >$0.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 13 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

That is the way I understood it as well.

My IBR is $190/mo so I'm hoping that is the amount that they will be able to use. Freddie Mac that is....

Thanks

Message 14 of 24
lamplight2012
Frequent Contributor

Can someone please explain what this means?

"the repayment fully amortizes the loan"

Experian: 693 | Transunion: 700 | Equifax: 690 | Utilization 4 %

EX: 5 | TU: 8 | EQ: 7
Message 15 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I believe it means that the payment schedule and amount you are paying will end up paying the loan off within an allotted time (20-30yrs). If your loan is $225k and your IBR payment is $75/mo, you will NEVER pay it off Smiley Happy

Message 16 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I will have to go back out and get the links to each, but it's copypasta from Fannie, Freddie, USDA and FHA resources. 

Message 17 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Directly from the USDA guaranteed lenders handbook located at :
http://www.rd.usda.gov/files/3555-1chapter11.pdf

Student loans. Lenders must include the payment as follows:
 Fixed payment loans: A permanent amortized, fixed payment may be used in the debt ratio when the lender retains documentation to verify the payment is fixed, the interest rate is fixed, and the repayment term is fixed.

 Non-Fixed payment loans: Payments for deferred loans, Income Based Repayment (IBR), Graduated, Adjustable, and other types of repayment agreements which are not fixed cannot be used in the total debt ratio calculation. One percent of the loan balance reflected on the credit report must be used as the monthly payment. No additional documentation is required.

Message 18 of 24
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I will have to go back out and get the links to each, but it's copypasta from Fannie, Freddie, USDA and FHA resources. 

I don't mean to argue, but the verbiage you typed in would not come from any lender guidelines... as they are never that simple.  When fully analyzed, the explanation can be shortened to make it more clear like you typed (although the FHA & USDA info you typed isn't accurate, for FHA it was never that way and for USDA they updated guidelines from what you typed).  If you copied/pasted that info, then it looks like it came from a blog-type resource. 

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 19 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.