Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FHA Purchase-Credit Approval Questions

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

FHA Purchase-Credit Approval Questions

My Husband and I am going to put our house on the Market. We should walk away with a minimum of about $20k. We are looking to purchase a new home no greater than $165k. Our combined income for 2011 was $110k and we do not have any loans other than Mortgage-Vehicle. Here is where it get's tricky. He is currently under a Chatper 13 with only 1 1/2 years left on it, all payments have been on time and we have our Mortgage and Vehicle figured into that so all of our monthly payments besides utilites are included into the payment. We did it this way to make sure we didnt get in trouble. He had a job loss and we had a few outstanding unsecured loans that forced him to file a BK. He is now 4 years on the job, me 3 years on the job. My credit however is lacking. I have a lot of collections but no active tradelines. I have plenty of alternative tradelines with over a 12 month positive history though. I do not have judgements or liens just a lot of medical. What does it look like our chances of getting approved for an FHA purchase are? We will have over 10% down. Thanks!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
germaine47
Frequent Contributor

Re: FHA Purchase-Credit Approval Questions

i would take copies of my credit file to a MB and see how well you are doing.  I think that your BK have to be discharged before you can apply for a mortgage.  My minimum had to be a 640 middle score but I think some lenders require a lower score.

Fico September 2012; TU 681, EX 674, EQ 652
Fako October 2012: TU 706, EX 641,
Message 2 of 6
kascls
Established Member

I think that your BK have to be discharged before you can apply for a mortgage.

OK, well, I have no idea about your prospects for approval, but this is most definetly not true.

Message 3 of 6
sewmuchdebt
Regular Contributor

chapter 7 bk wait time and chapter 13 bk wait time are different. i believe you can qualify for home 1 yr after chapter 13.

Starting Score: EQ 505 jul09
Current Score: EQ 702 TU 693 EX 692 apr12
Goal Score: 700+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 6
ProudMomof5
Contributor

I want to purchase a house this year or early next year.  I was told that I only have to wait one year after filing my Chapter 13 and my score has to be what the lender requires and three tradelines.  Your husband's credit sounds like it would be okay, if his credit score is what it needs to be.  However, you all might not qualify with your  name on the mortgage because of the collections and the fact that you don't have any tradelines.  

Message 5 of 6
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

@sewmuchdebt wrote:

chapter 7 bk wait time and chapter 13 bk wait time are different. i believe you can qualify for home 1 yr after chapter 13.

For FHA loans

Ch. 7  = 2yrs wait time

Ch. 13 = after 1yr of on time payments and permission of trustee.... you can get a loan while still in the ch13 repayment plan.

or 1 day out of ch13 with no permissions.

Retired Lender
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.