Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FHA / Student Loans / deferred loans

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

FHA / Student Loans / deferred loans

Good Day,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how defereed student loans are calculated into your DTI when applying for a mortgage?  Currently my student loans are all deferred.  

Also if anyone has any insight into minimum FICO scores / recent late payments / paid charge offs when appling for an FHA.

Thanks! 

4 REPLIES 4
jaylynn30

Re: FHA / Student Loans / deferred loans

FHA loans use 1% of your total SL balance as the monthly payment. The minimum FICO my last lender used for FHA was 580 for 3.5% down but I think you can go a lot lower (500-ish?) with 10% down. Not sure about charge-offs and lates but someone else will surely chime in Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 5
JVille
Valued Contributor

Paid charge offs are good that means your credit scores should start to recover. Charged off how long ago? Paid off when....
As to lates, it depends? How recent, how many and what does you credit history look like. A single recent late on an otherwise spotless past history is fine but lates in the last 12 months is a huge issue if you have history of poor payment habits.
Every borrower is viewed on their own merits and every credit history is unique.
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your reply.  All of my charge offs were "settled" paid 0 balance recently.  The most recent late happen in June on my Honda Lease. 30 Day late.  It was a pattern on 6 lates on Honda the past year, otherwise all other installment history is spotless. 

Message 4 of 5
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you for your reply.  All of my charge offs were "settled" paid 0 balance recently.  The most recent late happen in June on my Honda Lease. 30 Day late.  It was a pattern on 6 lates on Honda the past year, otherwise all other installment history is spotless. 

In general, underwriters are usually looking for 12 months of clean credit history at the time they review your loan for approval.  An isolated late payment within 12 months usually isn't an issue, but if there have been repeated late payments over the last few years then a late payment in the last 12 months could be an issue getting approved.  In your situation, in my opinion you'd need a very good reason for those late payments for an underwriter to be OK with them.

If there is a chance someone can get approved and they cannot wait for their situation to improve, then I always recommend to just give it a shot as worst case is you get a "no" and then are told how much longer you'd need to wait for approval.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.