Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FHA and IRS payment plan - missed a payment

tag
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

FHA and IRS payment plan - missed a payment

Hello All, we are about to go into underwriting for our new home. I do have a payment plan with the IRS for taxes owed back in 2017. I make the payment every month. However I was looking back at my payment history, and looks like I forgot to make a payment last July. I have since made all payments on time. This is not a tax lien.

Is this something UW might find and kill the whole process?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
AlmostNJ
Regular Contributor

Re: FHA and IRS payment plan - missed a payment

@tooleman694 wrote:

Hello All, we are about to go into underwriting for our new home. I do have a payment plan with the IRS for taxes owed back in 2017. I make the payment every month. However I was looking back at my payment history, and looks like I forgot to make a payment last July. I have since made all payments on time. This is not a tax lien.

You are fine. IRS does not report to credit bureaus. 

Message 2 of 7
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

@tooleman694 wrote:

Likely would just need to provide a letter of explanation.  Helps if you can show you had the funds, just forgot to make it.  

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 3 of 7
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

@AlmostNJ wrote:

@tooleman694 wrote:

You are right, they don't report unless it's a tax lien, but with an IRS payment agreement the lender needs to verify the payments have been made on time.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 4 of 7
AlmostNJ
Regular Contributor

@ShanetheMortgageMan wrote:

@AlmostNJ wrote:

@tooleman694 wrote:

You are right, they don't report unless it's a tax lien, but with an IRS payment agreement the lender needs to verify the payments have been made on time.

I'm sorry but I have no experience with that. 

Message 5 of 7
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

I asked the LO about it, they needed my last IRS payment statement. I said I can provide the last 6 months that are available and they said they only needed one. Looks like they need it for my DTI.

But I have searched this board for this stuff and wow it ranges from showing one month, to 3 months and up to 12 months. I guess ill find out what kind of overlays UW has.

Message 6 of 7
Pony4her
Regular Contributor

Yes, they typically factor it into your DTI.  Good luck with your future home, sounds like you are closer to closing.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.