Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FHA and Student Loan, Deferments?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

FHA and Student Loan, Deferments?

I am trying to get a home loan and my LO is asking me for proof that my school will be defered until 2014....I can't seem to get a straight answer on what paper work I need, where to get it, and if at all I can prove it.  On my CC report it shows all the loans with a small payments and in good standing, but they all do effect my DTI ratio. Would anyone know how to show this deferment to my loan officer/underwriter in writing?

Thanks!

B

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Re: FHA and Student Loan, Deferments?

Are your loans in deferment or repayment status?  You need to contact your lenders and find out about deferment.  You should be able to get some sort of written statement from your lender.  I can't remember exactly, but I put my loans into deferment a long time ago and I am pretty sure I got written confirmation that the loans were in deferment and when the repayment period would begin. 

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: FHA and Student Loan, Deferments?

I am currently going through this right now but my loan is a VA loan. Call all of the lenders (if there is more than one) on your credit report and ask them for a statement or letter showing when your separation date from school is and when you will go into repayment. They were able to send this out to me within 48 hours via email. My lender told me my loans have to be deferred for 12 months or more from date of closing. I'm assuming it might be the same for a FHA loan as well.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.