Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FHA and Student Loans

tag
huzchris
Valued Member

FHA and Student Loans

I read somewhere that the FHA programs require 1% of the total student loan amount to be added into your DTI ratio if they are deferred, in forbearance or on an income based payment plan. If the loan in on an amortized payment plan they take the amount of the payment? Is this true? Our broker is telling me that FHA doesn't care what type of payment plan it is in, it will factor the 1%. I assume this is not a state specific thing since it's a federal program? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am in Utah, if that makes a difference.
Starting Score: 486
Current Score: 775
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

|| NFCU CashRewards $19K || Amazon Prime $11K || PenFed PowerCash Rewards $17.5K || Citi Costco $8.1K || Discover Chrome $8K || AmEx BlueCashPreferred $5K || Citi Rewards+ $2.3K || Apple $2K || AmEx Green || CAL Ranch $13.1K || Sportsman's Guide $4K || Fingerhut $1.6K ||
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
kc0039
Established Contributor

Re: FHA and Student Loans

@huzchris wrote:
I read somewhere that the FHA programs require 1% of the total student loan amount to be added into your DTI ratio if they are deferred, in forbearance or on an income based payment plan. If the loan in on an amortized payment plan they take the amount of the payment? Is this true? Our broker is telling me that FHA doesn't care what type of payment plan it is in, it will factor the 1%. I assume this is not a state specific thing since it's a federal program? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am in Utah, if that makes a difference.

Broker is incorrect. If the loan is on an amortized payment plan, provide docs and we should be able to use the lower amortized amount

Licensed in IL
Message 2 of 6
NC_Mtg_Loaner
Valued Contributor

^ As long as the payment fully amortizes the loan you'll be fine.

Licensed NC Mortgage Loan Originator
Message 3 of 6
huzchris
Valued Member

How will you know the payment fully amortizes?
Starting Score: 486
Current Score: 775
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

|| NFCU CashRewards $19K || Amazon Prime $11K || PenFed PowerCash Rewards $17.5K || Citi Costco $8.1K || Discover Chrome $8K || AmEx BlueCashPreferred $5K || Citi Rewards+ $2.3K || Apple $2K || AmEx Green || CAL Ranch $13.1K || Sportsman's Guide $4K || Fingerhut $1.6K ||
Message 4 of 6
JVille
Valued Contributor

Call your Student Loan Servicer and ask them and then ask them where you can find this info on their website or to send you a letter. I suspect you signed modification papers that spell out the terms of your pmts. Expect to need to prove this in writing.
Message 5 of 6
homeloanexpert
Established Contributor

I concur, as long as you call your student loan servicer and have them provide a payment schedule with a payment amount and a payoff date, you should be good to go. Make sure you request the longest term available that if fully amortized.

Branch Manager - Specializing in FHA, VA, USDA, Conventional, Jumbo, Portfolio and Non-QM Loan Products.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.