Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FHA and student loans on IBR

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

FHA and student loans on IBR

My wife and I are considering selling our current home and using the equity to pay off revolving debt and put money down on a new home. I have found conflicting information on how student loan debt affects the ability to be approved for an FHA mortgage.

We are both currently on income based repayment for our student loans. Will that payment amount be used in the DTI calculations, or will it be 2% of the balance of the loans? If the lender wouldn't take the IBR payment, there is no way we would qualify. If we can't qualify a new morgage, then we definitely do not want to sell our current home.

I've seen some information saying that it depends on the lender - is that correct? I'm really trying to nail down an answer before we decide to sell.

Thank you!

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
dragontears
Senior Contributor

Re: FHA and student loans on IBR

Message 2 of 11
BrianB_The_Loan_Professor
Valued Contributor

It was going to be 2% but then someone realized that was too much so it was changed to 1%

If you can get in before June 30th you may find a lender still allowing the IBR but as that date draws near I think we will see less and less 

Once the date comes it will be the standard for now

Good Luck

B

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Brian B The Loan Professor
Mortgage Banker - offering FHA, VA, USDA , and Conventional mortgages in all 50 states -

If I do not respond to a follow up question please feel free to contact me directly
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Brian,

I am working to improve my credit scores (in the process of a divorce) in hopes of purchasing a home as soon as possible.  I am currently working on my Ph.D, and I have a fairly large amount of students loans.  The majority of my student loan balance ($75,000) is on IBR with a monthly payment of $0.  However, I have another approximately $20,000 in loans that are in deferrment.

After reading your previous post, it appears that when I apply for a mortgage, my student loan payment will be calculated at $1000 per month?  Is this correct?  If so, why are students essentially being penalized for pursuing an education.  I truly hope that I have misunderstood.

Message 4 of 11
monkeywre
Valued Member

Have you considered conventional financing? The other replies are correct that FHA is changing, however conventional is still possible with Freddie. Since you're selling your current home I presume that you have more than a minimal downpayment available. If you have decent scores, a conventional loan will be much cheaper than FHA and IBR isn't an issue.

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

My wife and I are considering selling our current home and using the equity to pay off revolving debt and put money down on a new home. I have found conflicting information on how student loan debt affects the ability to be approved for an FHA mortgage.

We are both currently on income based repayment for our student loans. Will that payment amount be used in the DTI calculations, or will it be 2% of the balance of the loans? If the lender wouldn't take the IBR payment, there is no way we would qualify. If we can't qualify a new morgage, then we definitely do not want to sell our current home.

I've seen some information saying that it depends on the lender - is that correct? I'm really trying to nail down an answer before we decide to sell.

Thank you!

As long as your IBR payment is NOT $0, FHA will use the actual payment.  If you have say a $64 IBR payment or a $123 IBR payment, those are the numbers that FHA will use.  If y our IBR is $0, then you will need to go by the percentage.  HTH, I am currently going through this as we speak! 

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Or maybe I should have read everyone else's answers... lol. Looks like it's changing and I'm just getting through under the wire! WOW!!!! 

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

When FHA changes their rules on 6/30, Freddie Mac will be the only one that will allow using the payment on the credit report. 

FHA will calculate as follows:

Regardless of the payment status, the Mortgagee
must use either:
 The GREATER of:
- 1% of the outstanding balance on the loan;
or the monthly payment reported on the
borrower’s credit report; or
- The actual documented payment provided
the payment will fully amortize the loan
over its term

Message 8 of 11
DrMac210
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

When FHA changes their rules on 6/30, Freddie Mac will be the only one that will allow using the payment on the credit report. 

FHA will calculate as follows:

Regardless of the payment status, the Mortgagee
must use either:
 The GREATER of:
- 1% of the outstanding balance on the loan;
or the monthly payment reported on the
borrower’s credit report; or
- The actual documented payment provided
the payment will fully amortize the loan
over its term

WOW!   I haven't been paying attention to the mortgage section for a while, so I missed out on seeing the change.

This new way of handling those on IBR plans is going to be a death blow for a lot of new grads and self=employed (like myself) looking for a mortgage.

Luckliy,  my wife has a W-2 job with no student loans and a good income, otherwise we would not be buying a house for a LONGGGG time.

Starting Score: EQ 641, TU ???, EX ??? (myfico 6/7/13)
Current Score: EQ 760, TU 740, EX 750 (myfico July 2015)
Goal Score: 800 across the board

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks so much for the replies!

So if I am understanding correctly, it sounds like we need to look into a conventional mortgage with Freddie Mac, as that may allow us to be approved using the payment amounts that are listed on our credit reports (which are currently income-based). Is that difficult to get? The down payment shouldn't be a problem, as we should have enough from the sale of our current home to pay off credit card debt and provide a down payment.

The main issue would by fitting within the DTI ratio. My wife is a stay at home mom, so we would be qualifying on my income only. We can do that using IBR on the student loans, but not standard payments (or 1%) as that would put us way outside of the ratios.

If all else fails, she can go back to work full time, but we are trying to avoid putting our toddler and infant into day care, so that would be the least preferred option.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.