Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FHA down payment and closing costs?

tag
notw1031
New Contributor

FHA down payment and closing costs?

I'm looking into buying a home in May 2013 and want to have everything in order before getting a loan approval. My question is, if I want to buy a home for $285,000.00 and I have $10,000.00 for down payment, would that down payment include the closing costs? Do I have to have the 3.5% down for FHA and also closing costs or is it all included in your down payment? Thanks in advance for your help.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

Re: FHA down payment and closing costs?

That down payment would just cover your down payment, you still need to cover closing costs. you can take negative points to help cover them.

Message 2 of 9
indecison
Regular Contributor

+1

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

That 10,000 would cover your downpayment as 285,000 x 3.5% = 9975,

ask the seller for closing help which would usually be around 3% but I'd ask for full closing help

so that you don't have to come out of YOUR pocket.

Message 4 of 9
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

If you only ask for closing costs you will end up paying money at closing. Make sure you ask for X% to cover closing costs AND pre-paid expenses (to cover your pre-paid interest and your escrows and insurance expense)

Message 5 of 9
westo12
Established Contributor

@StartingOver10 wrote:

If you only ask for closing costs you will end up paying money at closing. Make sure you ask for X% to cover closing costs AND pre-paid expenses (to cover your pre-paid interest and your escrows and insurance expense)

If you ask for X to cover closing AND pp expenses, do you still only have to come up with 3.5% or would asking for those items effectively lower your downpayment by the sum of those credits? if approved of course.

Chap7 discharge 07/2015
Fico 5/1/19: TR:650(73% util)
Cap1(Plat+QS) 3500+4500/Merrick 1600/Express 4100/Overstock 4900.
Message 6 of 9
indecison
Regular Contributor

You still have to put down 3.5% regardless.

Message 7 of 9
westo12
Established Contributor

Figured that.  Thanks.

Chap7 discharge 07/2015
Fico 5/1/19: TR:650(73% util)
Cap1(Plat+QS) 3500+4500/Merrick 1600/Express 4100/Overstock 4900.
Message 8 of 9
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

The maxiumum percentage allowed by FHA for sellers' contribution is 6% of purchase price.

Check with your lender but normally the closing expenses are in the neighborhood of 3.5% to 4% of purchase price in addition to the 3.5% down payment.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.