Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FHA loan vs Conventional loan

tag
antdave93
Regular Contributor

FHA loan vs Conventional loan

Need alitte advice about with route to take in buying my first home, here is a little background, i was pre approved for a fha loan with quicken loan base on the fact that I said i want to put less then the 20 down. the middle score they use was eq at 650. my problem is, a year from now my scores will be alot better with a old  judgement falling off and old credit card bill. should i just wait until next year to buy and get the lowest possible rate or go all in this year?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
antdave93
Regular Contributor

Re: FHA loan vs Conventional loan

Fyi: I would be able to put 20 percent down next year

Message 2 of 5
sumthin28
Valued Member

That is something only you can decide but here are a few things to consider.

1. How big of a loan are you going to be taking? The bigger the loan the more you would save with a better interest rate.

2. How is the real estate market doing in your area? How much is that home you want going to cost this year as opposed to next year. In many areas home prises are rising quickly.

3. How long do you think you will stay in that home? FHA loans require PMI for the life of the loan. That can be expensive. Next year you say you will have 20% to put down..you could go conventional and not pay PMI.

Interests rates might go up by next year so having the better credit score might not matter in the end for that. I think if you are in an area where home prices are rising fast then maybe you should do it now if you can truly afford it.

Starting Score 520
Current Score 649 Ex 658 Eq 665 Tu
Goal 700
AmEx everyday 1000 Boa travel rewards !000 Barclays 1300 Chase Freedom 3500 DiscoverIT 1400 Cap 1 Quicksilverone 300 Wallmart 600 Lowes 300 Paypal 500
Message 3 of 5
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@antdave93 wrote:

Need alitte advice about with route to take in buying my first home, here is a little background, i was pre approved for a fha loan with quicken loan base on the fact that I said i want to put less then the 20 down. the middle score they use was eq at 650. my problem is, a year from now my scores will be alot better with a old  judgement falling off and old credit card bill. should i just wait until next year to buy and get the lowest possible rate or go all in this year?

Tell us more about this old judgment - is it paid?

If not, it doesn't matter that it is 'falling off' of your credit report because the title company and lender check the public records to see if you have judgments before they will issue the loan.

If it is paid, then it isn't an issue even if it is on your report except that it may impact your score. Since you are going with FHA, they are not score sensitive at all. If you can get a conventional loan, then do so as the MI will drop off and with FHA it doesn't drop off. You don't need 20% to avoid MI. There are some limited number of programs where you can avoid MI with just 10% down payment.

You would be better off going to another lender (correspondent lender/mortgage banker) rather than going with Quicken IMO. Quicken is good when there are absoluty no issues at all. But when faced with any sort of bump in the road (like your judgment) Quicken just isn't the best lender to work with - their LO's are more application takers rather than well trained LO's. Quicken's marketing is good, but their loan process isn't the best as trained personnel look at your application late in the process rather than right up front.

Message 4 of 5
antdave93
Regular Contributor

The judgement I have is paid, it only is reporting on my eq and ex report. the other one is a old paid credit card charge off due to fall off in jan 2015.

the crazy thing about the charge off  is transunion made a mistake and removed it early and my score went up 90 points(751) on transunion only, but they realize they made a mistake and put it back on! but anyway, i decide to wait until next year at this time, i will be better position to choose what I really want instead of a take it or leave it offer.

i just need to to stick with my on motto- patience is a virtue. Thanks guys

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.