cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FHA min fico score

tag
AmandaSD

FHA min fico score

I contacted my lender bc we are in the process of trying to get preapproved for a house.  I asked him about the info I am seeing about the 620 min fico score for FHA loans and he said he has lenders that will loan as low as 580 ficos.  So do not be discouraged if you do not have that score of 620 yet!  We are working hard to raise our score but are still trying to get approved right now, sitting at 600 and 609...and its looking promising. *fingers crossed* But I just wanted to let you all know that was what we were told by our lender.  Good luck!
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: FHA min fico score

There are still people doing under 580, but the problem is that they are getting pushed by FHA to change that.  So, anyone not already in process on a deal/close to closing a deal stands a good chance of a denial down the road even if they are approved right now.  Several people here on the boards have lost deals or been sent scrambling for financing when the lender they used changed their guidelines.  The Brokers often times do not have prior warning when the investors/buyers are going to change their mind.

Either way good luck with the hosue hunting and credit repair. 

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was under the impression FHA couldn't require credit scoring, so how is it they're the ones pushing for the increase?
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

My husband and I just got (last Friday), final loan approval for our mortgage.  We got an FHA loan at 5.375% for 30 years fixed with 3.5% down.  My credit was good.  My husband's middle score was 592.
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

What company did you go through? 
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

National City Mortgage
Message 6 of 10
teton
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
National City Mortgage

Did you pay any points?

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

FHA can not require a minimum credit score.  they can recommend to buyers/investors/banks what they feel is reasonable risk on loans.  This is what they have done.  Given the turmoil in the markets, everyone is going along with it.  Although not impossible to get a sub 620 FHA loan right now, I personally would not hold my breath until I was closed due to the changing market conditions.  It is worth a try, but it there is a good chance that between now and when a loan closes, the tighter restrictions could be put in place by whichever broker/bank you are using.
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

yes, i paid 1.5 points.
Message 9 of 10
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I was under the impression FHA couldn't require credit scoring, so how is it they're the ones pushing for the increase?

they dont

lenders can add to the requirements though

these sub-620 deals are expensive and had to get thru underwriting.
be patient.

Retired Lender
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.