Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FHA vs conventional

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

FHA vs conventional

In January I got pre approved for an fha loan of 300k with middle score of 666. I had a collection with portfolio recovery which I paid off on 1/28 which the will delete within 30 days.I wasn’t planing on putting any offers in till after the collection came off with hopes for a conventional with the score bump but a house has come up that has me tempted would I be able to switch mortgage types after I put offer in?
3 REPLIES 3
CramEiko
Established Contributor

Re: FHA vs conventional

I think you should be able to change a lot of things in your financing. I mean you can come at the sellers with a 35% down payment then later change that to 5%-10%. I'd like to see what others have to say about this. At least with a conventional you would be able to drop your PMI without having to refi.

Good Luck!

Updated Feb 2023:
Citi Double Cash: $26,300
Citi Costco: $33,800
PenFed Power Cash: $50,000
Chase Freedom Unlimited: $33,400
NFCU Cash Rewards: $29,000
BoA Unlimited Cash: $99,900
Wells Fargo Active Cash: $50,000
Citi AAdvantage Executive: $30,500
Wells Fargo Mortgage 30yr fixed 3.625%

Business Cards:
BoA Business Advantage Unlimited Cash: $8,000
Chase Ink Business Unlimited: $75,000
Chase Ink Business Unlimited: $75,000

RIP: EECU PLOC | BBVA PLOC | Chase SP | Chase Amazon | Chase Freedom | WF Propel | Cap1 QS | AMEX Gold | BoA Custom Cash | Lowes | Barclays Aviator Red
Message 2 of 4
NC_Mtg_Loaner
Valued Contributor

Just compare the APRs on the two loans and make  your decision based upon that---my guess is that the difference in APR isn't likely to be much more than .5% and therefore, unless you plan on paying extra principle early on in your home ownership/loan amortization cycle there's really nothing wrong with the FHA loan, imo.

Licensed NC Mortgage Loan Originator
Message 3 of 4
H-B
Regular Contributor

Ask your lender to give you presentation for both products so you know the difference. FHA has draw back to not cancel the MI for the life of loan if you have lower down payment. But interest rate is lower and MI payment is lower compare to conventional loan. 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.