The FICO scores used for mortgages

• Equifax Beacon® 5.0

• Experian®/Fair Isaac Risk Model V2SM

• TransUnion FICO® Risk Score, Classic 04

These are sometimes listed on the tri-merge mortgage report as follows:

• Equifax/FICO classic V5 FACTA
  • Experian/Fair Isaac (Ver. 2)
  • Transunion/FICO Classic (04)

Note: they have been commonly referred to on the myFICO forums and elsewhere as:

• EQ 04 aka FICO 5 (on the myFICO report)
  • EX 98 aka FICO 2 (on the myFICO report)
  • TU 04 aka FICO 4 (on the myFICO report)

Some Differences from FICO 8

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Mortgage-Loans/Mortgage-FICO-much-lower-than-FICO-8/m-p/4733536/high...

Availablility

Equifax: myFICO Equifax FICO Standard purchase, or FICO 3 Report View purchase.  Equifax Score Power purchase.  DCU provides this score monthly to it's membership

Experian: myFICO Experian FICO Standard purchase, or FICO 3 Report View purchase.  PSECU provides this score monthly to it's membership. NASA FCU now also provides this score to it's membership and is open to everyone.  This score is now purchasable via Experian as well as an "additional score" in their FICO 8 monitoring solution.

TransunionmyFICO Transunion FICO Standard purchase, or FICO 3 Report View purchase.

Updated 3/10/15 - addition of Transunion (yay!) and some clarifications

Updated 9/03/16 - addition of NASA FCU for EX mortgage score availability; linked forum post of differences between score versions

Updated 10/17/16 - forgot the MF interface names for the scores, sloppy on my part

Updated 1/9/17 - addition of Experian monitoring for mortgage score availability.

        
Message 1 of 121
120 REPLIES 120
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: FICO scores used for mortgage - and where to obtain them

Hi FICO friend!

How close are the FiCO scores that I've been monitoring on this website to what the mortgage lenders use?  Why is there a difference? 

Message 2 of 121
bdhu2001
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi FICO friend!

How close are the FiCO scores that I've been monitoring on this website to what the mortgage lenders use?  Why is there a difference? 

The monitoring scores are your FICO classic scores.  Not your mortgage score.  OP explained how you can obtain two of the three mortgage scores.  There's a difference because lenders use various FICO models that are more predictive for the type of loan they are providing.  

If you have a recent 3B report, then the additional scores provided include two of the three mortgage scores.  When I was home shopping, I used the alerts and simulators to determine what my best options were to improve my scores. Although the simulators aren't specific to mortgage, they do help to determine ways to improve your score.

Original Mortgage maturity Sept 2044; Refi maturity Dec 2030
Starting Score: EX 751 EQ 720 TU 737 on 4/9/14
Current Score: EX 849 EQ 835 TU 843
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 121
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for clarifying. I had no idea there were so many different variations of my scores. 

Message 4 of 121
iDShaDoW
Regular Contributor

So would I just do the FICO Standard Purchase and select Equifax and Experian and that would show me the EQ Beacon 5.0 and Experian V2SM scores that mortgage lenders pull?

Just curious as the ones I get through banks listed in my sig are drastically different from the one a lender pulled - they said mine is 740 but wouldn't give me more information or show me the print out.

Message 5 of 121
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@iDShaDoW wrote:

So would I just do the FICO Standard Purchase and select Equifax and Experian and that would show me the EQ Beacon 5.0 and Experian V2SM scores that mortgage lenders pull?

Just curious as the ones I get through banks listed in my sig are drastically different from the one a lender pulled - they said mine is 740 but wouldn't give me more information or show me the print out.

Yup, though the EX should match your PSECU monthly score; however, both Walmart and Penfed's scores are useless for mortgages.

        
Message 6 of 121
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Haha, funny; figured would post it here since there's been a bunch of discussion on FICO 8's being higher than FICO 04/98's.

2/27/15:

EQ Beacon 9.0 (FICO 8) = 685

EQ Beacon 5.0 (FICO 04 / mortgage score) = 693

Can't really explain it other than I am beginning to suspect installment lines are getting weighed differently, but needless to say I was shocked seeing that as traditionally my FICO 8's have always been non-trivially higher than FICO 04/98's and I'm pretty much a poster child of broken credit till finding this forum and getting clean since then but with a bunch of derogatories which haven't fallen off yet.

        
Message 7 of 121
Movin_on_up
New Contributor

Revelate - Where are you seeing the FICO 04?  I just pulled my 3-report view and am seeing the FICO Score 8 and FICO Score 5 in the Equifax score versions view.

Starting score: EQ FICO 8 702 (1/1/2012)
Current scores: EQ FICO 8: 763 / TU FICO 8: 760 / EX FICO 8: 765

Wallet: Chase Freedom 12K - Discover More 12K - Walmart 1K - Capital One MC 1K
Message 8 of 121
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Movin_on_up wrote:

Revelate - Where are you seeing the FICO 04?  I just pulled my 3-report view and am seeing the FICO Score 8 and FICO Score 5 in the Equifax score versions view.

Beacon 5.0 is Equifax's version of the FICO 04 algorithm.  Not certain why myFICO decided to "simplify" the score names, in my estimation it only made it more confusing but the FICO Score 5 and my labelling of FICO 04 are identical as far as algorithms / scores, just different names for the same thing.

        
Message 9 of 121
Movin_on_up
New Contributor

Got it - thanks!

My Equifax scores are indentical:

FICO 8: 763

FICO 5: 763

But my Experian's have distance:

FICO 8: 765

FICO 2: 782

Starting score: EQ FICO 8 702 (1/1/2012)
Current scores: EQ FICO 8: 763 / TU FICO 8: 760 / EX FICO 8: 765

Wallet: Chase Freedom 12K - Discover More 12K - Walmart 1K - Capital One MC 1K
Message 10 of 121
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.