cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fastest way to get CRAs to Update $0 Balance - HELP!

tag
jerzygirl
Valued Member

Fastest way to get CRAs to Update $0 Balance - HELP!

I had 2 remaining charge off/collections that needed to be paid before I can start the USDA process. I paid both about a week ago & I know that once the balances are updated to $0 I will see a boost in my scores because they were impacting my revolving credit. Can I fax proof of payment to the CRAs or will that open up disputes? I just had all of my dispute comments removed so I don't want to open up that can of worms again. Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
n0smirc
Regular Contributor

Re: Fastest way to get CRAs to Update $0 Balance - HELP!

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but there is a chance that you could see a drop in your scores if the charge off has not been reporting recently. If they've been reporting every month like clockwork that it's a charge off, your lowered utilization should help you.  If possible, try to get both of those accounts goodwill deleted, that will be the optimal result. 

Unfortunately, an old charge off with no recent activity showing (say in the past year) will update to paid but will often update the prior months payment status as C/O. This is bad because it triggers the fico algorithm to say you've had a recent late payment even when the update reason is because you've fully satisfied the debt. I have seen this happen first hand to my husband's credit, the drop was significant.

This is why it's recommended to do a wait and see approach and get the loan officer/underwriter request/opinion on whether an account should be paid. (Ideally at closing) Or if you're getting prepared, get things squared away with PFD/GW and some good credit under your belt with 1-2 years pre-app.

Message 2 of 11
jerzygirl
Valued Member

Thanks for your input!

I was told by my LO to have these paid off prior to applying. How would I know if it's been reporting...is that the "Status as of" Date? If so it's been reporting both accounts monthly except for on my Transunion the one account is listed as a Collection & on Experian & Equifax it's listed as a factoring company. I have already shot off goodwill letters in hopes that they may delete them. Guess it's the waiting game...

Message 3 of 11
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

It should be the "date of last activity".

I wouldn't send anything in to the credit bureaus other than a letter from the creditor on letterhead stating the account is a $0 balance, otherwise the credit bureaus probably will just open a dispute because sending in proof of payment isn't going to mean much to them.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 4 of 11
jerzygirl
Valued Member

Ok, thanks Shane!

Message 5 of 11
hopinginfl
Established Member

When I had the disputes removed from my CR my score dropped 26 points! So sad!!  When the collections are being disputed they are not factored into the score and even though they have a zero balance they are now on the CR. I sent GW letters last week, hoping for the best!!

Message 6 of 11
jerzygirl
Valued Member

Yes, I already lost an average of 20 points from having my disputes removed! Keeping my fingers crossed that these updates don't make it go down any more. Thanks.
Message 7 of 11
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

@jerzygirl wrote:
Yes, I already lost an average of 20 points from having my disputes removed! Keeping my fingers crossed that these updates don't make it go down any more. Thanks.

So did I ... but they will rebound. All the best.

Message 8 of 11
n0smirc
Regular Contributor

@jerzygirl wrote:

Hopefully not. If they've been updating every month, in theory, you shouldn't see another score drop. YMMV, crossing fingers for you that this will be the case and reduces util will bring up the scores. 

when all is said and done, paid bad debt looks MUCH better in Underwriting than unpaid!

Message 9 of 11
J_G
Regular Contributor

What are your scores now and what were they when your LO told you to pay those collections? How old are they as well. I want to know if this could happen to me thanks
7/1/13 - EQ = 593 TU = 578 EXP = 573 FICO
8/11/13 - EQ = 600 TU = 590 EXP = 603 FICO
10/1/13 - EQ = 611 TU = 689 EXP = 605 FICO
12/4/13 - EQ = 625 TU = 648 EXP = 604
Lender Pull 2/18/14 - EQ = 630 TU = 678 EXP = 594
Lender Pull 2/28/14 (EQ 640) (TU 660) (EX 655) Rapid re-score =)
9/30/14 - EQ = 660 TU = 710 EXP = 669
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.