Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Time Homebuyer Nightmare!!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

First Time Homebuyer Nightmare!!!

I've been reading and reviewing this website for about a year now and I finally decided to create an account and make my first post.  This first post is mostly going to be me venting about the drawn out nightmare that me an my wife are currently facing trying to buy our first home.  Please forgive my long windedness and the bouncing around but I felt I should share my story for anybody that might encounter the same nightmare.

To give a little bit of background me and my wife are in our mid 30's and have not always made the right choices regarding money and paying bills.  My wife is a little further in the game and her credit has recovered to the low 700s but as many of you may know when running credit for a mortgage lenders want to use the lower mid score.  At the time of the credit pull my mid score was 620 and our lender wanted a minimum of 640.  At this point me and my wife are disappointed and decided that we should get our acts together and start repairing our credit.  Admittedly we were naive about the process of buying a home and thought that we could magically find money for inspections, down payments, closing costs, and whatever else was needed.  

Fast forward about 6 months or so, I was able to get a tax refund that helped to pay some bills off (snow ball effect) as well as get a new job that gave me a substantial increase in pay.  My wife also was able to pay a couple of bills down and we were able to put a couple of dollars aside for inspections, down payments, and closing cost.  We contact our lender again and she gives us great news "Congrats, you are pre-approved".  At this point we encountered our first bump in the road, where do we look for an affordable house in a decent neighborhood that isn't 100 miles from our jobs that also had decent schools.  Well we started looking and lets just say the first couple of houses looked like they were movie sets from horror movies.  The next set of houses were either foreclosures that needed a lot of work or were just 203k only houses and we didn't want to deal with something like that for our first home.  I searched high and low and had many sleepless nights (just on the house hunt might I add) and one day we finally found a house.  This particular house was slightly out of our budget before but had recently dropped in price and we just had to see what the inside of this house looked like.  

On the day we went to look at this house we did some research and found out that this house had been on the market for about 8 or 9 months with little to no intrest from most.  When our realtor gets there he informs us that this house is part of an estate sale.  We knew what an estate sale was but didn't know how estate sale property is sold.  But the house was in great condition and had several new upgrades (kitchen, bathrooms, and HVAC system) so we decided to take the plung and put a contract on the house.  Oh I forgot to mention me and my wife decided to try USDA Guaranteed loan.  So you lenders and real estate agents can probably see where this story is going.  

Get the contract and now the family representative for the estate only has a minor counter and we decided we could handle it.  It took us about a month to get a ratified contract due to the family rep living out of the state, which was kind of nerve racking but we figured this was all apart of buying a house.  As the family rep gradually sends back the signed contract we approach our next surprise/bump in the road.  The previous owner took out a second mortgage on the home (which probably explains the upgrades I mentioned before).  So if you are keeping count we are dealing with an Estate Sale, USDA Guarenteed loan, a family rep who is in no rush to do anything with the property, and two banks.  Also of those two banks the first bank has grown tired of waiting and has decided they now want to foreclose.  A bit of silver lining is we get the appraisal done and guess who has equity!!!  But the appraiser went to the house and the electric wasn't on so this posed a problem, for us.  The appraiser had to come back with the power on which of course is an additional charge.

Two months go by and there are several meetings with the lender and the real estate agent trying to keep us grounded and walking us through the process.  The real estate agent then informs us that the first bank is willing to hold off on the foreclosure since we have the contract but the second bank isn't budging on the price so we are told.  3 weeks or so go by and my wife is really getting anxious so she starts digging around on the internet.  Can you believe that my wife went to the state Estate website and found that the second mortgage had been paid in Janurary (we are in mid July at this point).  She calls to ask our RE agent to look into this and he calls back apologizing and saying the lawyer for the estate was trying to call the bank but could never get anyone and had basically been playing phone tag for 2 months.  

So it's the end of July and of course we are set to close in early August but we were never given a CTC or an expecting closing date.  I then started reading other peoples stories and came across this thing called a Rate Lock and how it expires.  Well, guess what our Rate Lock expires on 13 August and now me and my wife are in full panic mode.  We knew the appraiser had to come back out with the electricity on and we knew (through the general inspector) that the light post in the front yard was tripping the circuit breaker which caused lights and outlets inside the house not to work.  Fearful of the upcoming Rate Lock expiration we figured we would ask our realtor for access to the house to correct the electrical issues.  He quickly said no and we would just have to hope the appraisers second visit would not notice (which luckily he did).  

Now we sit waiting on USDA to review our paperwork.  We feverishly hit refresh on the USDA website waiting on the date to show 3August which was the date our docs were finally submitted.  Over the long weekend we noticed that the date hadn't changed from earlier in the week so my wife decides to call the local office.  Apparently this is the week that all USDA reviewers were in a state wide mandated training for the whole week.  Big let down, we were totally discouraged and emotionally drained.  So Wednesday 8/12 I decide I'm not checking USDA, we're not calling the realtor or the lender we are just going to let fate take care of this.  I'm sitting at my desk and I get an email from my lender that says basically "USDA is clear and we are waiting on the final appraisal".  My mouth drops I almost fall out my chair and I call my wife.  As we are happy and celebrating I get another email that basically says "the final appraisal is clear and we are all set to close".  OMG!!! Where did all of this come from!!!!  

But like you would imagine more bad news.  The lender basically says the title company might not have enough appointments for a Friday afternoon closing and we might have to push it to Monday 8/17 Smiley Sad  Later on that same day we get an email from the realtor again who basically says the first bank is having problems calculating the payoff amount for the loan and it will take 5-7 days to get this taken care of....  AAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!  

So hopefully sometime next week me and my wife will be first time homeowners, hopefully.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

Re: First Time Homebuyer Nightmare!!!

in this business.... when it rains, it pours

Retired Lender
Message 2 of 10
IncrsCreditScore1
Valued Contributor

Dear 800 and wife, welcome to this wonderful forum.  What a rough time you both have had, but it is nearly over!  Congratulations and hang in there.  Don't you want  to dance a jig!!!

January 2018 Scores - EQ 797 | TU 800 | EX 798 | ~~Started Gardening Again on March 21, 2017
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think I will hold the jig off until I get the keys in hand.

Message 4 of 10
woodsie1
Regular Contributor

I'm so sorry that you have endured all of the issues. This makes me extremely nervous to get the ball rolling on my first home purchase. Keeping fingers crossed that everything will work out in the end.

Starting scores TU: 537 EQ: 571 Current Scores 8/2015 TU:641 EQ: 641EX: 643
4000 3600 30006200 VS: 2450 NY&CO: 2320

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DallasLoanGuy wrote:

Yes, in this business when it rains it poors.   I'm still trying to come to terms my experience with Chase.  Soon as my closing is complete with my new Lender Tuesday, I'll be filing a complaint with CFPB againt Chase.   The complaint  they answered that was filed with BBB just made me more frustrated.  They basically accused me of mortgage fraud.  I can't get over how  they don't know the card number listed on AMEX cards are not the same that is reported to the credit bureaus.  The incompotent Underwiter, Broker and Loan Processor counted one AMEX twice.   The person at Chase who  called herself invesitgating my complaint says I opened a new AMEX card that wasn't reported at the time of the applicaiton.    

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Things are looking up!!!

Despite hearing from my realtor that there has been no movement on the final payoff amount I received a call from my lendor with excellent news.  We were so concerned about how much money we would need to bring to close and we found out it's going to be $0.  That's right and we will be recieving all of our EMD back!!!!

Sitting back waiting until Monday...

Message 7 of 10
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@DallasLoanGuy wrote:

Yes, in this business when it rains it poors.   I'm still trying to come to terms my experience with Chase.  Soon as my closing is complete with my new Lender Tuesday, I'll be filing a complaint with CFPB againt Chase.   The complaint  they answered that was filed with BBB just made me more frustrated.  They basically accused me of mortgage fraud.  I can't get over how  they don't know the card number listed on AMEX cards are not the same that is reported to the credit bureaus.  The incompotent Underwiter, Broker and Loan Processor counted one AMEX twice.   The person at Chase who  called herself invesitgating my complaint says I opened a new AMEX card that wasn't reported at the time of the applicaiton.    

It's because of stuff like this that I'd nver, ever apply for any loans, of any type, from the Chases, Wells Fargos, BOAs, of the world. They all worked to gether to destroy our economy and they continue to hit us in the neck. Boy would I have loved to see some of the executives taken away in handcuffs ... but they own our government too.

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can someone let me know if this broker is telling the truth when she replied to my complaint directly?  

Me: “Now that I am looking at the URLA  again, you  listed incorrect information in the liability  section of my application.”

Chase Broker Answer) The information on the liability section comes from your credit report, this is nothing that is done manually.

Message 9 of 10
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

chase and other big banks are only competent enough to do vanilla loans.....

anything weird and it turns into a train wreck

train wrecks arent fun when you are the ones on board

Retired Lender
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.