Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First-time Home Buyer

tag
Melusina
New Visitor

First-time Home Buyer

I am a single mother of a 5 year old looking in to becoming a first-time homebuyer. I have a credit score of 588. I have been at my job in the medical field for two years.

My gross income is $1400/month. My ex pays child support of $300/month. My monthly expenses total little over $1,000.

I have no credit cards and never had. I do not own a vehicle at the moment but have access to my parents vehicle. The biggest hit to my credit happened 4 or 5 years ago when I co-signed for a vehicle with then husband and then had to return vehicle due to hardship. I have a bank account with direct deposit but nothing in savings or any other assets.

I live in the St. Lucie County of Florida and am wanting to purchase two bedroom and two bath home for myself and child in the same area that could range from $40,000 - $100,000.

What are the first steps would I have to take?
What kinds of loans would be helpful to me?
What agencies or associations cater to first time buyers?
Are their possible grants offered for my case? Where would I go to receive them?

Thank you in advance for your response. Smiley Happy
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Elcid89
Contributor

Re: First-time Home Buyer

@Melusina wrote:
I am a single mother of a 5 year old looking in to becoming a first-time homebuyer. I have a credit score of 588. I have been at my job in the medical field for two years.

My gross income is $1400/month. My ex pays child support of $300/month. My monthly expenses total little over $1,000.

I have no credit cards and never had. I do not own a vehicle at the moment but have access to my parents vehicle. The biggest hit to my credit happened 4 or 5 years ago when I co-signed for a vehicle with then husband and then had to return vehicle due to hardship. I have a bank account with direct deposit but nothing in savings or any other assets.

I live in the St. Lucie County of Florida and am wanting to purchase two bedroom and two bath home for myself and child in the same area that could range from $40,000 - $100,000.

Are their possible grants offered for my case? Where would I go to receive them?

The biggest problem that I see is DTI. You are currently at 59%, so you need to work on getting your income up or your expenses down. How much of that $1,000 per month is current housing costs?

You'll also need to work on getting that score up, but until the DTI problem is solved the score is a secondary concern.

FICO 04 scores: 809 (EQ) 812 (EX) 818 (TU)

Amex Platinum NPSL - Citi HHonors Sig. $58k - BMW Ultimate $40k
Chase Sapphire Preferred $62k - Merrill Lynch + Signature $41k - USAA Rate Advantage $28k
NFCU Flagship Signature $50k - USAA Cash Rewards AMEX $28k
Citi Platinum Select / AAdvantage Signature $31k - Chase Amtrak Rewards World MC $41k

Message 2 of 5
Beasley12
Regular Contributor

Ok....you do not have a car note nor credit cards so unless you have personal loans or student loans the expenses you mentioned must be household expenses. If I am right your dti (on paper) looks good. I would look into any state programs that would help with the down payment. The larger the down payment the more you can spend on your home or the lesser your payments will be. With your income you will need the lower payment.

Google your state and county down payment assistance then go from there. You also need to work on your credit score. Maybe you should also get at least one credit card. Do you have an positive lines of credit?
EQ FICO 564 (3/12) Lender pull 673 (4/12) FICO 703 (6/13)
TU FICO 605 (6/12) to FICO 687 (3/13) Lender pull 680 (4/13)
EXP FICO lender pull (4/13) 651
Homeowner since September 2013!
Message 3 of 5
Melusina
New Visitor

Thank you both so much for your time and responses. Yes I do not have any loans or other debts. My expenses are only household. I do not have any lines of credit but I will meet up with my bank to discuss ways to build my credit.
Message 4 of 5
jadeite788
Established Contributor

@Melusina wrote:

You need to get at least two credit cards, but I heard 3 is the magic number for a really good score.  You need to have revolving credit and an installment (car loan, student loans,etc).  Lenders like to see mixed tradelines.  That is why  your credit score is the way it is.  I was like you, no credit cards at first, but I started to read the posts in the rebuild credit back in 12/12 and I noticed why I was not getting the 640.  After the credit cards, that is when I saw a big jump.  I kept 1 card with a utilization of 4%, and the other card has a balance of 0. 

2)I took the homebuyers class to get the downpayment assistance, every state has one.  Also check your city's downpayment assistance programs as well it can aid in downpayment and closing costs especially in areas that they are trying to rebuild. 

3)Start saving, especially if you going to be looking at houses in the 40K-100K range.  The average costs with closing is about $5K or less.  That is assuming if the seller is not helping. Keep in my home inspection fee's and prepaid costs (homeowners insurance, escrow, etc).

4)If you monthly expenses is a little over $1K, I would open a savings account and put that child support payment in there, and keep the other $400 in checking.

Good Luck

Starting Score: 565
Current Experian Score: 634 (Lender pull)
Current Equifax Score: previous 668, 680 as of 11/12/13 lender pull
Current Transunion Score: previous 675,677 as of 09/23/13
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.