cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First time buyer - would we be approved?

tag
1t2b
Contributor

First time buyer - would we be approved?

I know the best advice is to do AZEO and have a full 20% down payment, extra (how much?) for closing costs and a heavy emergency fund, etc. This is our long-term goal, but our rent was just increased by $400 and we're in a crazy market and are afraid we'll be priced out if we wait til the end of the year when we'd expect to have most of those goals checked off. Anyone have input on whether it's better to wait and see prices jump another 10% in an area w/ minimal current supply vs being prepared to jump sooner w/o those boxes checked. We're looking at likely 500k-650k purchase price in our big metro area. I know our middle score (697 EQ) isn't awesome, but it seems not horrible, so just weighing the pros and cons.

Here are our current stats:
-Annual gross - 200k, solid job in a solid field w/ bumps up to 40k more each year depending on bonuses etc (not commission based so reliable)
-mortgage scores:
TU 695
EQ 697

EXP 743
- 3 major CCs + 1 Best Buy (used only for promotional balances at zero interest) - 65% aggregate and individual utilization on avg

Car loan 1 is $375, will be paid off in a few mos, could pay off early but it seems that is bad for credit
Car loan 2 is $630 and just started. 
no bankruptcies/collections

Do we:
1) Keep our cash in our down payment fund and go for a pre-approval now so we can start to look more seriously (but still w/o a full 20% down payment)?

2) Decrease down payment fund and instead drop those CCs down to AZEO in the next couple weeks w/ hopes it boosts the middle mortgage score into a stronger 725+ type of score, and then start to look more seriously w/ higher credit score but lower down payment fund? 

3) Drop CCs to AZEO in the next couple weeks, rebuild that down payment fund and put off looking more seriously til the end of the year, risking the prices increasing and supply decreasing even further?

Any input greatly appreciated, we're newbies. 

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: First time buyer - would we be approved?

Paying off car loan 1 a few months early is highly likely to help your mortgage scores a bit, and shouldn't hurt them since you'll still have an open installment tradeline reporting (car loan 2). The mortgage scores really like to see zero balance accounts, so you'll add one by paying off that car loan a little early. You won't suffer the classic "no installment loans" penalty that a lot of folks see when they pay off their only installment tradeline. That account is going to go to zero/paid/closed before you close on a mortgage anyways, so wrapping it up a few months early is not going to be super impactful in any direction. It could help a little, it shouldn't hurt. 

We are in a somewhat similar position to you in terms of price range and mortgage scores, our gross household income is a little bit higher. We are not first time buyers and will be rolling equity over out of our current house once we sell it. We had a teleconference with our mortgage broker last week, who told us with our stats/qualifications we should shop without worry and they'd write a prequal letter in that $600k range whenever we need it. He's familiar with our profile and knows us from landing us our current mortgage (and guiding us through refi when rates dropped). Current market conditions in our area sound similar to what you describe (white hot and rising).

In order to boost my middle mortgage score, I am paying off some low balance installment loans and going AZEO on CCs to maximize the zero balance accounts. On a parallel track we are saving every penny to boost our down payment/closing cost cash fund. Once the loans and CCs are paid to zero every extra penny will go into that fund. A 20% down payment is a noble goal if you can get there, but they will likely write you a mortgage all the way to 5% down (or even 3.5% with some products). You'll pay more monthly in rate and PMI, but that's the cost of landing a home these days without spending years accumulating a 20% cash down payment plus cash for closing costs on a $600k house. The PMI comes off in 5-7 years on a standard payment schedule, maybe sooner if the market keeps rising and you get a higher appraisal in a year or two to bridge the equity gap. The higher rate can be refinanced later if a lower one presents itself. 

One other thing to keep in mind in your price range is the max conforming limit: $548k. If you have to borrow more than this, you go into jumbo territory. I've heard anecdotally that the jumbo market has tightened considerably in the past year, and you may have trouble qualifying. The rates are also higher. So if you're looking at a $600k property, you need at least $50k down plus your closing costs (3-5% of purchase price, so another $30k cash) in order to stay under that cap and get a conventional conforming loan. Can you raise $80k in cash in the next 3-6 months? If the answer is no, you either need to buy a significantly cheaper house, or forget buying this year and save as much cash as possible until you do have it. 

We're essentially doing option 3 from your list, except we're still shopping in the present, and open to structuring a deal with as little as 5% down if our dream house presents itself and we need to act fast. We have the benefit of cashing out the equity in our current house, which will get us almost all the way there. I'd love to put the 20% down for the better rate and no PMI, but it's just not a realistic possibility if we buy in 2021. 

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you car loans are straight installments and you have less than 10 months remaining on the term then the debt will not be counted in DTI anyways so paying it off will have no affect on the file.

Demand is only going to continue to increase. They can't build them fast enough to catch up with demand.

Message 3 of 10
1t2b
Contributor

Thank you, that is really helpful. I didn't know that about jumbo loans, so that's a good thing to keep in mind. Good to know that paying car 1 off early won't be a hit on credit scores. The last time we paid one off early it was our only car loan, so that must've been why we saw the drop. I was pretty irritated b/c I assumed it'd be a jump. Any idea how much of a jump it could give us? Would it "feel" better (in terms of score boost) to get the car loan out of the way first or take a CC or 2 down to the next tier (under 48.9%)?

Message 4 of 10
1t2b
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

If you car loans are straight installments and you have less than 10 months remaining on the term then the debt will not be counted in DTI anyways so paying it off will have no affect on the file.

Demand is only going to continue to increase. They can't build them fast enough to catch up with demand.

Good to know re: DTI. Would you jump w/o a sizable down payment then?

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lowering the CC balances should be your sole focus - you are leaving a TON of points on the table with CC utilization that high. If you pay the CCs off and grab those points, it sounds like your scores may come very close to reaching the point (usually 740+) where you get the best rate and absolute lowest PMI payment for your deal structure. That comes back to aid you by giving you more breathing room in your DTI %, since your monthly PITI payment will be lower.

Get those CC balances down into AZEO territory and keep them there, even if it means using some of your down payment fund. It sounds like you don't have enough cash on hand to buy right this minute, even if you wanted to. So if you're depending on your future cash flows over the next few months, you may as well kill the CCs now, make your score rise, and then focus on saving cash for the down payment once your scores stabilize and CC util isn't holding you down.

The car loan early payoff thing is probably a 5-10 point swing at best, hard to be sure because it's so profile-specific, but it probably won't be enough to change the rate tier you're currently in. It's not a major change, and it'll happen in the next few months anyways if you just stay on schedule, right?  Getting the CCs to AZEO will absolutely change the whole landscape for you. 

Message 6 of 10
1t2b
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Lowering the CC balances should be your sole focus - you are leaving a TON of points on the table with CC utilization that high. If you pay the CCs off and grab those points, it sounds like your scores may come very close to reaching the point (usually 740+) where you get the best rate and absolute lowest PMI payment for your deal structure. That comes back to aid you by giving you more breathing room in your DTI %, since your monthly PITI payment will be lower.

I didn't know that about the PMI possibly being variable based on credit score, either. Can't thank you enough for pointing things like that out!

Message 7 of 10
1t2b
Contributor

What about a personal loan? Thinking back I think that was the issue. We paid off a personal loan and expected a boost but instead it was a hit. I believe we had a car loan at the time.

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you had paid your loans down below an aggregate installment loan util threshold (under 9%, I believe) at the time and then closed the account with the payoff, it may have cost you some points, but should not have been anything dramatic. The personal loan/car loan/student loan classification doesn't matter in terms of scoring for mortgage scores - they are all grouped and scored as a class under the "installment debt" category (versus credit cards which make up the "revolving debt" scoring category). Either way, I don't think your car loans hold anyreal  potential for significant positive score change. It's all about the credit cards in that revolving category. 

Message 9 of 10
1t2b
Contributor

Thank you. Looks like we really need to focus on the CCs above all else.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.