Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First time home-buyer tax-lien question

tag
glamchick
Established Contributor

First time home-buyer tax-lien question

I have one collection to get off my credit repot then I will apply for a FHA home loan.  

My fiance will be a co-signer but he has a state tax lein on his credit report that he makes payments on.  Will I still be able to use his income when applying for a mortgage?

Or will this have to be paid off?

Thanks!

Gardening since 5/3/2016
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
beb86
Valued Contributor

Re: First time home-buyer tax-lien question

Probably but would have to show he is on a payment plan and the would use that payment in your DTI

Message 2 of 7
glamchick
Established Contributor

Ok great! 

We just started this payment plan last month.  Do you think we need to wait a few more months before applying to show hes making the payments?

Gardening since 5/3/2016
Message 3 of 7
beb86
Valued Contributor

best bet is to be upfront with an LO first and go from there...

Message 4 of 7
glamchick
Established Contributor

Thanks for your help!

Gardening since 5/3/2016
Message 5 of 7
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

Yes. Most lenders want to see that he has successfully paid the lien via the repayment plan for 6-12 months.

Lenders get worried about tax liens because if he doesn't pay, that tax lien could be put on your house.
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Glam, a tax lien is a cloud on title, so until it's removed you wouldn't be able to get title insurance for your home loan if you use your fiance's income and credit. Tax liens are forever, so you'll have to pay it off. Hopefully it will give him some lift on his credit score as well.

Good luck!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.