cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First time home buyers in CA.... How much down?

tag
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

First time home buyers in CA.... How much down?

Can you get less then 20% to buy in CA??

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
bruiseviolet
Frequent Contributor

Re: First time home buyers in CA.... How much down?

In my state (NOT california) they have special loan programs with lower down payment.  I do know you can try for FHA.  Last I knew it was 3.5 or 3.7% down?  It also depends on your FICO scores and a whole host of other things.....

Message 2 of 5
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

FHA: yes

Conforming: almost certainly

Jumbo: snowballs chance in hell

It's a factor of risk: FHA = government insured, if you flake, it's not their money that gets lost.

Conforming loan: just going to be bundled off and dumped on Fannie or Freddie.  Note, FHA Loans have a higher limit in Cali than conforming currently, they're just a lot more paperwork.

Jumbo: they're much more likely to get stuck with the mortgage, as no GSE nor Fed insurance is going to back them up on this.

For a whole lot of reasons, a bigger downpayment is seen as less risk for a lender, so when it's their own money they're actually playing with (and not the governments or GSE's in some form or fashion), they're far more restrictive on it.  I'd still try to get 20% as you're stuck with some form of mortgage insurance or secondary loan without it, but I know with the way prices are (I'm in LA county) that's a long walk for the majority of us.

        
Message 3 of 5
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

It is Foreclosure.... I was at least 2 years out in my thinking before seeing this!

Will know more after opening of day tomorrow to call some people.

Message 4 of 5
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Creditaddict wrote:

It is Foreclosure.... I was at least 2 years out in my thinking before seeing this!

Will know more after opening of day tomorrow to call some people.

Your scores qualify you assuming your mortgage pull comes up similar to what you have posted, as long as your income is sufficient and you can come up edit: with 3.5% down (FHA minimum) you can probably make it work.

I was (am?) trying to put myself in a spot where I could pull the trigger on a home in six months, but I don't think I'm going to make it even though I have a solid downpayment... need to straighten out more from my past sins unfortunately before buying a home.  Ah well, next year and hopefully the market won't go all loopy in the meantime.

        
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.