cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First time to do mortgage loan. Any advice?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

First time to do mortgage loan. Any advice?

As title says. I'm thinking of getting a house after I paid my debt on my CCs so the report would show low usage, can someone brief me what I need to do as a first time? I have $41k Income, 760 EX FICO Score, $65k CC Limit, $16k remaining balance on my auto loan, 1 yr. Employment.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: First time to do mortgage loan. Any advice?

You might get more feedback if you post the info requested in this post- http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Mortgage-Loans/Do-I-qualify-for-a-mortgage-Info-that-is-needed/td-p/...

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Start saving cash for down payment! Do not buy the home unless you can afford a 15 year note.  That is the best advice I can give you.  I started on a 30yr note @ 5% on a 120k mortgage and then I saw the difference in interest rate and refinanced down to a 15-year note @ 3.375% and my payment only went up $60 or so a month.  You get better interest rate AND you can pay it off in a more reasonable amount of time.  After 2 years in my house I have paid down my mortgage to $110,000 paying a little extra each month.

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Start saving cash for down payment! Do not buy the home unless you can afford a 15 year note.  That is the best advice I can give you.  I started on a 30yr note @ 5% on a 120k mortgage and then I saw the difference in interest rate and refinanced down to a 15-year note @ 3.375% and my payment only went up $60 or so a month.  You get better interest rate AND you can pay it off in a more reasonable amount of time.  After 2 years in my house I have paid down my mortgage to $110,000 paying a little extra each month.

Thanks, just curious, how much downpayment did you do? and what's the ideal downpayment?

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did a conventional loan so it required a minimum of 5% down.  All told, with closing costs, I had to write a check at closing for close to $8k.  I put down $6500 and the seller paid $3k in closing cost.  It took me a long time to save that $8k, but now my income has doubled so not as hard, thankfully.

Message 5 of 11
bdhu2001
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Start saving cash for down payment! Do not buy the home unless you can afford a 15 year note.  That is the best advice I can give you.  I started on a 30yr note @ 5% on a 120k mortgage and then I saw the difference in interest rate and refinanced down to a 15-year note @ 3.375% and my payment only went up $60 or so a month.  You get better interest rate AND you can pay it off in a more reasonable amount of time.  After 2 years in my house I have paid down my mortgage to $110,000 paying a little extra each month.

Thanks, just curious, how much downpayment did you do? and what's the ideal downpayment?

My loan last year was 30 yr and I put 20% down.  I refinanced this year to a 15 yr loan. It didn't require a new down. The ideal amount is whatever it takes to not pay PMI and get the lowest available fixed interest rate.

Original Mortgage maturity Sept 2044; Refi maturity Dec 2030
Starting Score: EX 751 EQ 720 TU 737 on 4/9/14
Current Score: EX 849 EQ 835 TU 843
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep! PMI is the devil.  My original loan had PMI and I refinanced out of PMI.  My original appraisal was $120k, and when I had it appraised for my refi, it appraised at $150k so I was at 78% LTV ratio which got me out of my $115 PMI payment.

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Yep! PMI is the devil.  My original loan had PMI and I refinanced out of PMI.  My original appraisal was $120k, and when I had it appraised for my refi, it appraised at $150k so I was at 78% LTV ratio which got me out of my $115 PMI payment.

Sorry but what does PMI mean?

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

PMI= private mortgage insurance.... required if you are putting less than 20% down.

Message 9 of 11
cartwrna
Valued Contributor

They do have programs around it though (not sure if it's in all states). My state offers a 97% conventional. Only 3% down and no PMI. The trade off is a higher interest rate. I believe currently it's 4.5%, but payment plays out to still be less than if you were paying PMI.
Don’t take your credit for granted, use it with care! These days, catch me in the bankruptcy forum!?
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.